Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Hi MPiper,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. The Serial Number for your Model 14 will be on the bottom of the grip and will include a K if it was made before 1980 something when the S&W numbers went to 3 Letter 4 digits. Remove the grips to see it.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You don't have a S&W. It's a Dan Wesson .357 and I don't know the model number but Dan Wesson is a different manufacturer than S&W. That information is stamped on the back of the extractor rod shroud. The S&W Model 14 is a .38 Special, 6" barreled revolver. Dan Wesson made some fine handguns but I'm not a collector. Maybe there are others here that can help you.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
This is a Dan Wesson 15-2 and actual pics of yours could determine the actual model. They should have a barrel wrench and a shim as the barrel can be removed and changed out for another barrel of various lengths to fit the use. The shim is used to set the space between the forcing cone and the cylinder for better accuracy. There are sets the have 3 to 4 barrels of different lengths. They are very accurate and only draw back I have heard from people is they do not like the cylinder release as it cannot be operated one handed and must use both hands.
Dan Wesson was a part of the original S&W manufacturing family but went off on his own as he wanted to produce his gun with a removable barrel along with some other ideas he had.

·
Registered
30,035 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts