Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all,

New handgun owner here from the great state of Texas!

I just bought some handguns for the first time ever. Bought a Shield EZ 380 for my dad, bought a Shield EZ 380 for my mom and after checking out the gun, I ended up buying one for myself as well... Dad's not new to guns but he's getting up there in age and wanted something easier to use, so this gun was perfect for him. Mom is completely new to guns period, so this seemed like a good gun for her too, especially in these crazy times. I liked the feel of the gun in my hand so I picked one up for myself as well, and after running a few hundred rounds through it, I'm already ready to buy another handgun, or two. 😅 The wife is already complaining about wanting one as soon as she saw mine, so I'll probably give her the Shield EZ 380 and get myself the 9mm instead, perhaps the Shield M&P 2.0 9mm...? 🤔

I'm a complete newb to handguns so I hope y'all can be patient with me as I learn 😊

·
Registered
26,419 Posts
Welcome from Florida! The fact you were able to find so many in these times is awesome!

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Welcome from Illinois! Get in some range time to get used to your new acquisition. ;)
Practice makes perfect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Florida! The fact you were able to find so many in these times is awesome!
Yea, that's why I bought them up as soon as I found it. The 2 standard Shield EZ's I got from a local store near my house and I drove 2 hrs away to pick up the PC model. It was their last one and was their display model. When I called them up about it, they recommended I pay for it online then come pick it up, which I'm glad I did. While I was at the store waiting on it, they got multiple calls about the same 380 I had already paid for online. Lucky me :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome from Illinois! Get in some range time to get used to your new acquisition. ;)
Practice makes perfect.
Yea that was the first thing I did once I found ammo. Got a few hundred rounds through it last weekend already and plan to go again this weekend if the range still has any ammo in stock for me.

Even though I'm completely new to this, this ammo shortage already has me thinking about buying a reloading press and learning how to load my own... ugh... :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new purchases
Thanks! I'm loving this shield ez 380, and after just a few hundred rounds through it, I'm already ready to buy another handgun or two. I didn't think I would enjoy shooting handguns, but it would seem I do. I already loved shooting rifles, but I never bothered trying out handguns before till now.

I just need to figure out what I want next. Luckily (?) the wife got jealous when she saw my new toy and wants one of her own so I may give her the shield 380 after I figure out what my next handgun will be.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Welcome from up in the Panhandle.

·
Premium Member
13,726 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One of the handguns in my EDC rotation is a M&P 1.0 Performance Center Shield, bought three years ago. It has performed flawlessly, and is very compact. I woudl recommend a M&P Shield in either the 1,0 or 2,0 platform.
The biggest difference in the action mechanisms has to do with disassembly. You have to manually drop the striker (on an empty chamber) to disassemble the 1.0 slide from the frame. On the 2.0 you just slide it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forum. One of the handguns in my EDC rotation is a M&P 1.0 Performance Center Shield, bought three years ago. It has performed flawlessly, and is very compact. I woudl recommend a M&P Shield in either the 1,0 or 2,0 platform.
The biggest difference in the action mechanisms has to do with disassembly. You have to manually drop the striker (on an empty chamber) to disassemble the 1.0 slide from the frame. On the 2.0 you just slide it off.
yea that's one of the things I'm really liking about it, flip that little lever and off it goes :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Luckily (?) the wife got jealous when she saw my new toy and wants one of her own so I may give her the shield 380 after I figure out what my next handgun will be.
Shooting together is really GREAT! Be prepared for her to be more accurate than you are, and be proud of her when that happens. And it DOES happen - regularly.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
AND BTW - welcome to the forum!

I shot 9mm for over 20 years until arthritis got the best of me. Now I have one of those Shield .380 EZ's, plus a couple other .380's and a couple .22lr handguns for cheap and fun range practice. One of my friends has a Ruger 9mm which is a really nice gun but too much: too hard to rack and too much recoil. She bought a .380 EZ and totally loves it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AND BTW - welcome to the forum!

I shot 9mm for over 20 years until arthritis got the best of me. Now I have one of those Shield .380 EZ's, plus a couple other .380's and a couple .22lr handguns for cheap and fun range practice. One of my friends has a Ruger 9mm which is a really nice gun but too much: too hard to rack and too much recoil. She bought a .380 EZ and totally loves it.

When the wife was younger and her dad was still in the military, he let her fire off his M16 a few times and it seems she fell in love with guns at that time. hehe. She got jealous when she found out i bought my parents the shield ez 380 and even more jealous when she found out i bought myself one too. I didn't even realize she liked guns until she demanded one of her own. hehe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shooting together is really GREAT! Be prepared for her to be more accurate than you are, and be proud of her when that happens. And it DOES happen - regularly.
I hope she's a better shot than me. If I miss my target, I still have the possibility of beating the snot out of an attacker. If she misses, that would be bad.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts