Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. Just purchased my first handgun the M&P M2.0 9mm 4" Compact. I'm researching holsters and since I'm new to EDC and CC I'm not sure what style / position I'm going to prefer. I saw that Alien Gear has a shapeshifter "starter pack" that includes 4 holstering options. However this is only available for the 3.5" or 4.25". For the noon here, will the 4.25" version work with my gun?

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
EB33- I would think the 4.25” would work fine, but I haven’t used that brand before. One caution would be to buy a GOOD belt to hang your pistol and spare mag(s) on. At the risk of repeating myself too much, Kramer Leather makes good double thickness “dress” belts 1.25” or wider. I think in either cowhide or horsehide. I’ve been using their 1.25” dbl thickness horsehide belts for 30 yrs or so. They will support the weight of steel frame guns and reloads without rolling up or sagging. Quality products, but not inexpensive. I have found , generally speaking, that cheap in belts or holsters is a false economy. YMMV, Hank

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Hope your holster search goes well. That said, please do yourself and everyone around you a favor and totally familiarize yourself with your new firearm. Do some serious range time, strip it, clean it, and repeat the process. Put several hundred rounds through the gun to learn it's (and your) limitations.
Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
In total agreement with Scott. Get some classes beyond your basic CCW class , if that’s required. It’s useful to have some “ presentation “ practice/ coaching. The process of safely sweeping your cover garment, acquiring a firing grip, and draw your weapon without pointing your weapon at yourself or innocents in the vicinity. Hank

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
It's important to take training with someone that knows how to teach concealment and presentation technique.

When we teach our state mandated CCH permit qualification classes, we go beyond minimum requirements and teach presentation. It probably takes an additional couple of hours.

In the state mandated qualification at the range, we also utilize presentation as part of the exercise.

By the time students complete our class they have developed the muscle memory and confidence needed to concealed carry effectively.

By all means, get a good double layer belt that is stiff enough to hold and support the holster during the draw cycle. Some come with an internal steel band to enhance this stiffness, but a double layer stitched belt will do just fine for years.

I prefer all Kydex Inside the Waistband holsters for their compact, thin and waterproof construction and their ability to keep moisture off the surfaces of the gun. Leather can absorb humidity and this can cause problems long term.

I think that the simpler belt clipped kydex holster like Zorn's holster and similar ones available on Ebay are best. Be sure to get the holster specifically fitted for you gun, not a generic fit. This is important for keeping the holster open making reinsertion easy as well as proper retention. Don't buy holsters with retention lock devices.

Here's one maker I have experience with. There are lots of competitors, but the design of the Skinny Rig is what I'm talking about. A strong side inside the waistband belt carry.

https://www.zornholsters.com/

This will give you some ideas, and help your search online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts