Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited these many years ago and they’ve just been collecting dust. The model 36 has some surface rust. Is there anything I should use that will remove it without harming the finish?

What’s the ballpark value? Are they rare or collectible? Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Banned
1,476 Posts
Easy to find out what those models are selling for on Gun Broker. As for the rust, anything that removes it will remove the blue, though not much if you take it easy rubbing it with brass wool & oil. The 36 has lots of scratches but not much rust that I can see.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Don’t use steel wool! Only use fine copper wool with very light pressure. When done correctly it should not harm the bluing. The bluing May have damage from the “rust” already though.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
27 Posts
Welcome aboard! You have inherited some great guns. It sounds like you have had them awhile, but have you shot them? If you have not, you should, as you are missing out, on a great experience.
None of your guns, if sold would finance an early retirement, but they are collectible as all S & W guns are to most of us here. These guns all have plenty of value, easily in the $1300 to $1500 range, in a person to person sale in my neck of the woods. I would think they would sell very quickly at $500 - $600 each for the 66 and 19, and $350 - $400
for the 36. A dealer will offer much less, but they have to make a profit on what they sell..

That said, your guns are all three, perfect shooter / user, class guns, and that is what many of us collect.
The 19 and 66 are basically the same gun, one blued and one Stainless Steel, and both very desirable shooters or defense guns. The J frame mod 36 is a great carry gun, woman's purse gun, etc.. These little guns, are light weight, plenty accurate enough, plus simple dependable, and just cool as hell.
I hope you are able to take them to the range, and shoot them. Try to stay away from a steady diet, of 357's in the 19 and 66. A lot of people will argue, that 357's are ok, in a K Frame, but your guns will last almost forever with 38's and not as long with the 357's.
As far as rust removal goes, since the bluing its self is a form of rust, great care must be taken when trying to remove rust. Kroil or Trans fluid, and light use of bronze wool will work, as will a rag soaked in these products. The rule of thumb I use is that if its rough enough to feel with your finger nail, it has already damaged the blue, and when removed with leave a thinned area, or a bald place. The more important thing than removing it is probably prevention of further damage, with a light coat or oil after handling.
Good luck with what ever you intend to do with your guns..
BES

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois.
An introduction would have been nice before asking for help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of your info! It’s very helpful. I searched around for similar 19-1’s, but they seem to be few and far between.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can put that stainless steel model 66 on a buffing wheel and make it look new again and get a lot more money out of it. This one looked so bad when I bought it I got it for $185 bucks. It was a police trade in that had been carried a whole lot and shot very little. I put a set of grips on it that I found at an indoor flea market for $12. I have a total of $197 in the gun. Plus the one you have has a pinned barrel that'll bring even more.

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What you have is a nice start to a S&W collection.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
17,480 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As said use only brass wool pads and god oil (lots) and just light strokes (do not hurry). Then use Renaissance Wax to help protect it. The Stainless can use Flitz to polish out scratches (do not use on blued guns) and again use light elbow grease and time. Then use the wax to polish it out. Those are some nice guns to inherit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts