Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1905 fourth change serial #3955xx, small S&W logo on left side, nothing on right side, 6" barrel, all numbers match even the pencil number on the inside of the right grip. Any info on the year made would be great. Best I can tell is 1917 to 1919.

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. My Standard Cat #3 puts it somewhere between 1915 and 1942. Post pics as we like to see them. They are excellent shooters.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just picked up a 1905 fourth change serial #3955xx, small S&W logo on left side, nothing on right side, 6" barrel, all numbers match even the pencil number on the inside of the right grip. Any info on the year made would be great. Best I can tell is 1917 to 1919.
A little bit later; the small logo started in early 1920 after the WW I no-logo period, and the serial puts your gun not much later, maybe into 1921.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. I like my old Smith's. I have learned a lot of information on them from this site.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What year did S&W start usingMade in USA on the right sideplate, this gun does not have it. When did S&W stop using the mushroom ejector rod tip.

·
Premium Member
20,146 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W implemented the Made in USA stamp in May 1922...around the same time the small logo stamp was resumed. So, your gun was in the transition period. The mushroom ejector rod knob (MERK) was used up into 1928 when they shifted to the large barrel-shaped knob (LERK).

·
Registered
439 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W implemented the Made in USA stamp in May 1922...around the same time the small logo stamp was resumed. ...
Guy:
Not quite. The logo stamp shows up again, although small and on the left rather than large on the sideplate where it was mostly (except on some models) pre-1917, on guns sometime during 1920, and is present on all documented revolvers/models shipped in 1921 and onwards, so there's about two years worth of production with logo, but without MADE IN U.S.A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts