Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salutations to the Forum!

I started my journey in the gun world when I was 22 with my first purchase of a Taurus PT .45 ... Over time I of course purchased a Glock 23 and I was in love...

Then I was given a S&W .38 special revolver & Ithica Shotgun, passed down from my father. I never held a revolver before and I was amazed by the high quality of the gun. WOW! Overtime I made a few more purchases that included another Glock. I believed the Glock hype from day one because of my inexperience with weapons, nutnfancy videos, and I would not even look at other guns to purchase.

Then one day I decided to pick up a M&P 9 Pro Series Long Slide (remembering the quality S&W Revolver that was given to me) ....

HMM !!! Felt very comfortable in the hands! Then I shot it... WOWWWW!

This began my slow transition away from Glock. Over time I told myself many excuses as to why I should keep my Glock (SHTF). I still tell myself excuses today LOL! When I would go to the range, I found myself loving & shooting my M&P way more than my Glock. Then one day I held a Walther PPQ HOLY COW!!!!!!! ... and then weeks later I found out S&W and Walther are the same Company... WHATTTT!!!!????!?!??
I just purchased a Shield 9mm and I'm now looking into a V-Tac... needless to say that I no longer own any Glocks (for the moment LOL) and only own S&W handguns. I think this speaks volumes about this company and my father's choice of gun.

I look forward to learn ALOT from you guys!

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,716 Posts
I have been buying and selling guns since 1962. I currently own guns from sixteen different manufacturers. My current top three manufacturers are Colt, Ruger, and S&W. I like Ruger single-action revolvers and older S&W double-action revolvers. I have one Glock which is a G20 SF 10mm.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Hello and welcome from North Carolina!

The semi-auto designs that you have tried and enjoy are evolutionary developments of striker fired actions. All of these have slightly different balance points; grip feel and trigger action feedback. The striker design goes back to the early 1900s, including this Mauser 1910/14 model:

MauserM1910.jpg

As well as the German Luger design (in a slightly different arrangement).

I personally prefer and own Springfield XD pistols in this general design approach. They are striker fired; have both a grip and trigger safety mechanism and are light and reliable.

If you like a solid feeling handgun with a crisp trigger, the most refined are probably in the M1911a1 lines. I like S&W, Colt, Springfield, and Dan Wesson in that design. John Browning's design has been around for a long time for good reasons...

Marc

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Welcome from New Hampshire! I share your affinity of S&W handguns. Mighty fine shooters in pistol or revolver configuration.

·
Super Moderator
19,462 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum forma qualified enabler. WE'll make you feel right at home.

Gee, I'm easy when it comes to collecting! I just plain like guns. Just about any brand or caliber. However, no Taurus guns will ever be in my ownership, and never means never.
I presently own one Glock. It's a Model 29 compact 10mm , and it's a fine weapon. Most fo my handguns are S&W, both revolvers and bottom feeders. I own some off brand guns that many have never heard of. That's the beauty of collecting. They don't need to all be the same, or even similar for that matter. You can add or remove an item at any time, and you still have a collection. I understand the admiration of the S&W and Walther pistols. They're generally well made and well designed. I hope you stick around, ask a bunch of questions, and become part of the small group of aficionados' here. Few are experts in these guns, but collectively I don't thinks there's a question you can ask about these guns with out getting a quick and honest answer.
Glad you found us, and welcome aboard.

Regards,
Gearchecker

Reactions: bluecar

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum from sunny Florida.

We love to see photos of your firearms so do not be bashful about posting.

Thanks for giving us an insight into your love affair with things that go bang.

I have Smith's, Rugers and Glock handguns and each one has a place and purpose and all are shooters.

Visit and post often.

Regards,

FlaRon

IMG_1178.jpg

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Welcome from Arizona. This is a friendly & helpful bunch who won't belittle you in any way but be warned: they are the worst bunch on enablers on the planet! You hang around here for a while & you'll find yourself w/ a whole closet full of nice guns! (ain't heard nobody complaining though). I own mostly S&W's but a Colt or 2, a few Rugers, Hawes, NAA's & 1 Glock (Model 26) sneaked in the safe too. Absolutely NO Taurus or other unreliable junk allowed in this house (I ain't the sharpest tool in the box but I do learn w/ experience).

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
... I hope you stick around, ask a bunch of questions, and become part of the small group of aficionados' here. Few are experts in these guns, but collectively I don't thinks there's a question you can ask about these guns with out getting a quick and honest answer.
Glad you found us, and welcome aboard....
Yeah! What he said! Welcome from Texas. There are folks here that can tell you your Springfield '03 is modified by the curve of the bolt handle. That good! Plus they are more than happy to share. My first semi-auto was a Glock 27, followed by a G21. Still got 'em, but they don't see nearly as much range time as my S&W revolvers, and my 1911's do!

I always knew I liked guns, but living in areas which didn't allow for gun ownership and with a family that didn't much cotton to 'em, it took a bit of time to come around to finding out "Gee, I just have to go to the store to BUY one if I want". What a concept!! So now I'm one'a these enablers, too. Happy to enable, and pleased to be enabled! Show me pictures, and I'm enabled even more!

Like most here, I have mostly S&W, and a smattering of everything else. i have found certain marques from Europe to be fine weapons. Walther, for sure, Beretta, for sure, and FN, too. Have some FN examples now, new and WWII vintage. All good guns!!

if it goes BANG when you pull the trigger, I want to have shot it at least once! You too??

·
Registered
18,288 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Everyone here is a great help and I do not have any Glocks, but 1911A1, M&P 45 and 9C, and the German Pocket Pistol 1914, Beretta, bunch of S&W and Ruger revolvers, Dan Wesson revolver, and military revolvers.Like the revolvers over all. Main thing is to have the guns you enjoy to shoot and take the time to shoot them. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
:wlogo:Welcome from CA!:wlogo:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everybody... I feel at home already! ... I'm taking notes, learning, and observing.

You guys are already awesome!

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Another welcome from Arizona! I too have a mix of S&Ws, Colts, and Rugers. Now, Injunbro probably won't let me come visit after this, but I hafta admit I own one Taurus too. After much polishing of the internals it's kinda fun (17HMR):eek:

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
Another welcome from Arizona! I too have a mix of S&Ws, Colts, and Rugers. Now, Injunbro probably won't let me come visit after this, but I hafta admit I own one Taurus too. After much polishing of the internals it's kinda fun (17HMR):eek:
Well, you were kind enough to load me some .45-70 ammo so you're still welcome to come play on my backyard range, shoot my cannon, 1873, etc... I ain't touching no silly little Taurus though... :D

Reactions: Hellbent

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,981 Posts
hey y'all.. welcome..

smith revolvers and 1911's 'round here, although you find some other stuff that goes bang! :D
gi battle rifles, lever action long guns, and yea - a plastic bottom feeder or three..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts