Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am joining to help find knowledge about Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have not bought one yet, but am going to look at a pair this week. A model 48 22 mag, and 19 357 both in 6inch. I own a couple Webleys, and an antique Colt so S&W guns are a new field of knowledge that I am just beginning to learn. The 19 doesnt even show a faint dragmark. I think it is nearly mint or nib. The 48 shows more use. Not sure of the “dash” of either gun
I feel the 48 is earlier, as on the 19 I cant see a pinned barrel and there are no diamonds on grips. What about the scope mount on the 48? Are any of you familiar with this type? Does it use factory holes? 7C0832D0-CF81-4A4F-AE8F-8DCD0CB1123D.jpeg 29BF92B1-A2F3-4E1C-9A12-515C7FFBEE36.jpeg excited to say the least.
cheers from Jimmerp

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome from SE AZ. W/ serial #'s (x out last 2 digits for security) we can come close w/ ship dates. The Model 48 appears to have aftermarket grips & the rear sight replaced w/ scope mounts. Can't tell whether more holes were drilled in the top strap w/out looking closer but w/ that mount probably not. I'd try to get the original sights (whether you plan to use them or not), box & tools. Box & tools add considerably to value of both guns. Both are fine guns, the pristine 19 has more collector value.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

·
Registered
9,371 Posts
Welcome from warm Florida!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the availability of the extras needed to bring the 48 back to original? I did a quick search and found grips but will need the exact ones for the vintage of the gun. Rear sight?

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sad to say I couldn't make a deal on the revolvers. The model 48 is a no dash 1959 gun. The 19 is a dash 5. No extras with them and the 48 had the missing grips and rear sight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts