Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I’m enjoying this informative and supportive forum. I have some questions about my new M&P shield (2.0, 9mm).
But first I’ll just introduce myself.
I received my LTC in Massachusetts a few years ago in an effort to express my support for the second amendment. Had little interest in owning a firearm. Not for any idealogical reason, but I didn’t really need another hobby and didn’t feel compelled to carry for self protection at the time, based on my living circumstances.
Last year we moved to Florida and my neighbor took me to the range after a 90 minute 1:1 intensive gun safety class in his den complete with handouts and quizzes!
I had a great time and harkened back to my days shooting bb guns for hours in my back yard in Michigan; enjoying the challenge of hitting a target.
Inspired, I started looking at possible purchases. I wanted something to carry but also really had a blast with the .22.
Recently we moved back to Marxachusett. The riots, social unrest, impending civil war (and my wife’s concern for her safety) decided it for me. I took my license to a local gun shop in Woburn Massachusetts and explained my situation. I went in looking to purchase a sig p365 but wound up with a M&P Shield 2.0, which is probably a better option based on everything I’ve read since.
Since then I’ve purchased a handful of dummy rounds and have been practicing field stripping, loading, unloading, dry-firing…i’ve cleaned it and oiled it. It feels good in my hand. My intention is to KNOW the gun, be confident and SAFE… and not look like an idiot the first time I go to the range.
Anyway, I feel welcomed already, just from reading posts and I’m happy to be a part of your group!
Thanks!!
miller1111

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Welcome to a great place with lots of friendly, knowledgeable people! Based on my experience with my original Shield 9mm, i think you will be very pleased with your new pistol. Also sounds like you have a good plan. Practice, stay alert and stay safe.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Welcome from the Texas Panhandle.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Get out to the range to improve familiarity and skill with the gun, it's fun and really helps to gain confidence with how it functions and how you use it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. Applaud your safety and familiarization plan. Hopefully some good ranges to practice on and really get familiar with your 2.0.

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the forum. The Shield is a good choice. They are well made M&P pistols, and the Shield has improvements for disassembly and cleaning.

I have a Shield 9 Performance Center version 1 pistol, and it's in regular carry use.

The best way to return to the range is probably to take a formal NRA Basic Pistol class. I teach that class over 8 hours, and it includes work at the range together with an instructor/coach.

My club teaching team met earlier this week and is putting on extra Basic Pistol classes for the many new shooters that have recently acquired self defense handguns. I believe that the class is essential to handling a firearm safely.

You have had an introduction with your friend in Florida, but true safety only comes with review, training, proper coaching and renewed training. This is because many of the things that make you safe are acquired muscle memory, and that needs to be reinforced until it "takes".

You'll understand this the first time you look down and see your finger inside the trigger guard when it shouldn't be.

Enjoy the forum.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
681 Posts
You'll understand this the first time you look down and see your finger inside the trigger guard when it shouldn't be.
I had to chuckle at that sentence! I always tell my new students that if they even THINK the word gun, their trigger finger should pop straight out, forward, and stay that way until they have a real reason to move its position. OF course they laugh, but I'm hoping that image of walking down the street and suddenly having their trigger finger stick straight forward stays with them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts