Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've "burnished" my new gun barrel bores at break-in by swiping a cleaner dampened swab through the bore then shooting one time and cleaning it and dampen it again and repeat for the rest of the six.

I read this, if I remember right, in G&A back in the 80's so I tried it and have done so since, and I guess it works OK. I judge that on the fact that the guns are accurate and the bores clean up and shine nicely.

Anyone else do this or have thoughts on it or not?

Haven't fired this one yet and plan to do the break-in the same.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
To be honest, I never broke in any firearm I purchased for over 30 years. They are as acurate as I can shoot them.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dave a method I've found to work wonders is a product called Tub final finish bore lapping system. IT comes with the bullets impregnated with different grits of abrasive, that you shoot in progression. If you want match grade accuracy give it a try. Midway carries them in any caliber you want. ;)

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
I'm with Dom on "break in".......but then again.........I buy used guns, anyway!!!! :roll: Bob

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, Hunter and BobK, All mine I purchased new so I don't have anything to gage against the results.

So no one breaks in new bores? Is what I do too much or bad?

c pierce, do you advocate doing the lapping on new bore? Or would it be prudent to wait and see and do later? Are there any adverse affects?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Dave yes I do, this method eliminates any high spots. It also polishes the bore, and cuts way down on leading. The only draw back is you will have to clean your bore every 5 rounds while lapping in the barrel.

G

·
0 Posts
Believe in it for a match grade gun...

Having said that...for a hunting field gun ~ Be a little bit more concerned with shouldering, trigger pull and break, and shooting positions....

How many times have we rested a gun, only to find it didn't line up with our own body mechanics for point of aim?

Off Topic and Thread Drift ....over. ;)

giz

·
Registered
273 Posts
Barrel break in routines are hotly debated. Lots of guys believe in them just like baseball players have there routines and superstitions before coming up to bat. Is it important ? if the shooter thinks it is, it's important.

Personally with match rifles with high dollar custom barrels just start shooting my normal loads. If the barrel is smooth and good to start with it's going to be fine. Factory handgun barrels are generally rough anyway so little you can to to make them better, or worse.

Boats

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: New Gun barrel break-in? Update!

Well, I broke in the new one. Boats, I 'm like you said, I have a routine and it seems to work in my mind anyway.

c pierce and Giz, I wasn't able to to get the lap set or prepare for that before breaking it in. I like the idea and may pursue it further. I posted this report on the revolver section but figured I should follow up here, so sorry for repeat.

Gun:
M629-4 Performance Center Master Hunter 7 1/2" Magna ported 44 Mag.

Ammo: 24 rounds, Rem 240gr JSP.

Distance:
25 yds indoors

Process: Swab bore w/solvent damp patch and firing. Clean bore and dampen again for next shot. Repeat for the entire cyl of 6.

So I did this for first cyl, while moving the sight to right toward center. I shot 24 rounds in all and the 4th set of 6 are centered in 1.75" group, plus the last round from cyl load 3. So 7 in that group. Here's the summary and Pics: (I label each set of six rounds by Cyl#, where 1x (is first) and 1s are first 6, the 2s are 2nd and so on)

Cyl1: round 1x first shot (ever!), 1 above it in 8. I moved scope right 1/4 turn. (Keep in mind I'm swabbing with damp patch, each time)
Next 1, 1 are in 9, I moved scope 1/4 turn right.
Next 1, 1 are X and 10.
2 adjustments in Cyl1

Cyl2: 2 was far right so I move back and over adjusted so I slowly moved back to right and after 3 adjustments I was close. I was cleaning bore damp then dry after shots on cyl2.
Total cyl1&2 adjustments to 5.

Cyl3: 3,3,3,3 all line up vertically, but to left slightly. Made adjustment 1 click to right. These are high at 25 yds because I expect at 100 it will be on X.
3 was close then last 3 was where I wanted it.
Total adjustsments 6.
Cleaned bore again.

Cyl4: All 6 in 1.75" no cleaning.

Ultra Dot Red dot

Lead Burn

Birchwood-Casey Lead Burn wipe

10 minutes later. (notice anything not found on guns often these days)

Well I think this gun is much better than me! I really like the Magna porting, I want to shoot this all day.

Anyway, I want to let you guys know how it turned out.

Dave

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Thanks for the follow up Dave. I have a hard time shooting with those red dot sights. It seems like they jump all over the target on me. ;)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey c pierce.

I've had this red dot for twenty years, this is third gun I've mounted up with it. I have found a technique that may or may not be common, don't here too many people talking about these.

I don't look at the scope or try to focus on the dot, but rather keep BOTH eys open and train focus on the target, placing the dot at my point of focus. Actually the scope itself is, if not invisible, oblivious. It is a very fast sighting method and if this works out at longer distances like it has in past (eyesight wise), I'll stick with it until I find something else better, like 2x.

Anyway, your lapping process sounds very interesting and I may want to look into it. For now I think I'm going to fine tune me and the gun and see how it goes. I'm sure I can lap later if I feel I need to improve it. That may be the ultimate tune for long distance Whitetail hunts! After all this gun's name is Master Hunter. :mrgreen:

Hey it may already be done, being a PC gun.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see others that are doing this. I think is really sets the bbl for staying shinny and clean.

Welcome to the Forum Colo..bob from Mass. and thanks for the input.

BTW dondavis thanks for your comment as well.

Dave

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
500 and trooper,

I read what Gale said as a bbl maker, it seemed as though he spent more verbage on belittling other bbl makers and people that break in bbls then supporting his oppinions with fact. He "feels" he is correct. Sure he has records held by shooters of his bbls, but that doesn't disprove the break in.

Also, there is a component left out of his assertion, that is in my routine and that is leaving the bbl slightly moist from cleaner, hence the burnish effect. In my years of machine building and engineering, I can say that burnishing improves the surface of steel for endurance, and surface maintainence. My personal proof of my method is only in results that have not failed. Anyway, "one shot, clean, one shot, clean", isn't breaking in, that's just clean shooting.

As far as the idea that breaking in unduelly wears out the bbl, I can't really go allong with that for me, since I would have shot those shots anyway, so that is a ridiculous concideration for me to adhere.

All I can say is I do it and it has never harmed any of my guns, I've never worn one out by breaking it in with 6 shots. So for ME it works.

Anyway guys, I do value your comments and expertise as I'm sure most around this forum have more knowledge than me, but that's just my way to get the best out of my guns. It may not be doing anything better, yet I'm not prepared to discontinue the practice unless I see proof of harm or damage. Myth or not. You guys probably know better than me. But...

It's my routine and it makes me happy!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your input,
Dave

·
Registered
753 Posts
My method of "barrel break in" is to go shoot the gun. If it's a rifle or pistol doesn't matter. I shoot 10 to 100 shots, what ever I'm in the mood for, then I clean it out very well. I want all the copper fouling removed. The next time I shoot it, it will clean much easier and I will re clean it spotless. So my method of 3-4 shots clean and repeat is not what I do.
The newer guns S&W makes are superior to the cut rifling of the past. These barrels hardly foul and really shoot great.

I use Remington Bore cleaner with a bronze bore brush and scrub it back and forth several passes. This stuff is easy on your hands and smells nice. It's a brown liquid with grit. The cleaning of the barrel takes at the most 10 minutes. I inspect it with a good light to make sure the rifling is clean and the copper is removed. Otherwise I don't fuss with it, just get the copper out.

I once had a very rusted barrel that I scrubbed with this bore cleaner. It removed all the rust with only a few passes. Sure the barrel had pits but it looked 100% better with your naked eye.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts