Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started out with oldest Grandson to range to practice for steel shoot. Had been talking about Long Range shooting for Derek (Grandson). Well I had the Parker bros Double Barrel and he had wanted it for a long time. so the shotgun went to him and this Harrington & Richardson Model 12 and scope and some boot came home with us. Derek shot it at 40 yards (max distance on indoor range, and was drilling the center out of the bullseye consistently. Bolt action is the smoothest I have ever felt and the trigger is smooth as glass. He loved it Now plan on outdoor range when weather better and school out for the 200 yard range and then practice on the distances used in the competitions. I think the rifle is at least 20 pounds or at least feels like it.

Took some othe guns with us too and one was my 627-5 that has not been out for about 7 years, as was my bowling pin gun then. Well it forgot nothing and was amazed how good the trigger was on it. Took about four shots to remember the break point so could pull trigger till just before fires then steady aim. I know I am doing it but seems like continuous pull. The target was at 15 yards with 357 mag wadcutters I load. Just an overall excellent day. Should have put cardboard on back as target very light paper. few errant ones at beginning but then settled in. this was 10 moon clips of 8.

thumbnai24l.jpg
thumbnail22.jpg
thumbnail23.jpg

S&W 627-5 (1).JPG
thumbnail.jpg

·
Registered
20,551 Posts
Glad you got out to the range to spend some quality time with your grandson. Great shooting with some fine firearms and thanks for the pics and report.:cool:

·
Premium Member
10,270 Posts
There have been some very high grade .22LR rifles produced over the years.

I'm always on the outlook for one of the European (mostly German) made K98 trainers. The ones that I've seen have some outstanding smooth actions. Closest thing I have is a WW-II vintage Springfield (US governmenet) Armory M1922 rifle. Sweet action.

I don't recall if you've shared your grandson's age, but regardless his target shows that he "gets" marksmanship.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
HoooBoy, a model 12 H&R. That one may change your WHOLE concept of what H&R was capable when they put their mind to gun making.
I used to think Mossberg 44s targets were a big/heavy gun for a .22 . Now after getting a model 12 I know,,,,, Mossberg 44s were made for small children. The model 12 H&R is one huge man sized beastie !
The stock I can only assume was 4x6 block of very plain wood and it was a challenge to see how little of it could be removed and to still be able to call it a rifle stock . What a chunky dude. I keep threatening mine with a wood rasp .
But make no mistake , it was cloned from a Winchester 52 and it will shoot.

It's probably U.S. PROPERTY marked under the scope mount and the last time I checked you could locate and download an owners manual ( with trigger adjusting info.) on the interweb. Let me know if you cannot locate.:D

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
There have been some very high grade .22LR rifles produced over the years.

I'm always on the outlook for one of the European (mostly German) made K98 trainers. The ones that I've seen have some outstanding smooth actions. Closest thing I have is a WW-II vintage Springfield (US governmenet) Armory M1922 rifle. Sweet action.

I don't recall if you've shared your grandson's age, but regardless his target shows that he "gets" marksmanship.
Derek will be 16 next Saturday. And he wants to really get into the competition.

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HoooBoy, a model 12 H&R. That one may change your WHOLE concept of what H&R was capable when they put their mind to gun making.
I used to think Mossberg 44s targets were a big/heavy gun for a .22 . Now after getting a model 12 I know,,,,, Mossberg 44s were made for small children. The model 12 H&R is one huge man sized beastie !
The stock I can only assume was 4x6 block of very plain wood and it was a challenge to see how little of it had to be removed and to still be able to call it a rifle stock . What a chunky dude. I keep threatening mine with a wood rasp .
But make no mistake , it was cloned from a Winchester 52 and it will shoot.

It's probably U.S. PROPERTY marked under the scope mount and the last time I checked you could locate and download an owners manual ( with trigger adjusting info.) on the interweb. Let me know if you cannot locate.:D
Thanks, got the manual tonight and I also have the 44 but you are right, this gun is serious about accuracy. My gunsmith friend used this gun in competition and he said he wrote his name on the target at 150 yards. he did say was more accurate with the subsonic 22 LR. With the Federal Target we had was amazing.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Looks like a nice rifle and a fun day.
That said, I don't think I would trade a Parker shotgun for any .22 ever made. :D We all have different likes and dislikes! Enjoy the rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts