Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I hope the guys with all the knowledge post!. I have never even seen a gun at a garage sale. Flat latch, pinned(y)

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
Yeah. We see 'em at flea markets and garage sales all the time. Free states. That's a .38 M&P, Model 1905, 4th Change from 1920/21. I'll gladly give you $80 for those grips even if they are chipped. Original S&W round butt K frame pearls with medallions ain't growin' on trees. Jes sayin'.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Yeah. We see 'em at flea markets and garage sales all the time. Free states. That's a .38 M&P, Model 1905, 4th Change from 1920/21. I'll gladly give you $80 for those grips even if they are chipped. Original S&W round butt K frame pearls with medallions ain't growin' on trees. Jes sayin'.
What would be the approximate value of the gun assuming it functions OK?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
they are real mother of pearl grips. One has been repaired.

I am uncertain of one thing: does this shoot the 38/200 (SW) cartridge or the standard .38SPC? The markings on the barrle say "38 S&W special ctg "

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
It is not a flat latch, that applies to the cylinder release on smaller framed guns in a later era. Sell the MOP's if you care to, get some round butt K frame grips, a jar of Mother's Mag Polish at the auto store, an old Tee shirt and rub it shiny. I would avoid +P ammo personally. In fact lead bullets would be my preference for a 100 year old.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks, one last question - How can you tell if it is Nickel or Chrome? They did both apparently, but the chrome is much rarer. Is it possible to tell?

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
I'd put the gun alone in the $250-300 range if the action functions acceptably. The grips are another story. If they were undamaged, they'd likely bring $300 or more. As they are, I think my original offer is ballpark. YMMV.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It is not a flat latch, that applies to the cylinder release on smaller famed guns in a later era. Sell the MOP's if you care to, get some round butt K frame grips, a jar of Mother's Mag Polish at the auto store, an old Tee shirt and rub it shiny. I would avoid +P ammo personally. In fact lead bullets would be my preference for a 100 year old.
My mistake:oops:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been trying to locate a pair of high arch wood grips with medalions to replace the damaged pearl grips that are on it. I see them on pictures of revolvers, but cant find any for sale -either original or repo. Where can I find them? Did the round but not come with high arch wood grips as an option or only the "service" style with the standard grip profile on later revolvers?

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Bronze medallion round butt grips do not show up every day, it will be a bit of a quest. Between Gunbroker and Ebay you will have to be vigilant. There are plastic reproductions of the old baked rubber black grips. You can find them I believe at NCOrdnance, Gungrips.com and other places.

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
I have been trying to locate a pair of high arch wood grips with medalions to replace the damaged pearl grips that are on it. I see them on pictures of revolvers, but cant find any for sale -either original or repo. Where can I find them?
By "high arch" do you mean magnas like on this M19?

If so, they wouldn't be period correct for your gun because they weren't introduced until 1935. However, they are a much more comfortable option for shooting. You should be able to find round butt K frame magnas on eBay or any of the gun sales sites.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts