Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I got the e-mail from S&W yesterday and immediately called the gun shop. I have one on the way.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
I'd like to see an evaluation of the design and build quality when you receive your pistol.

I've had multiple students show up with the .380 version, and had brand new guns jam up within shooting the first magazine. Jammed so well locked that we could not eject the chambered round, and had to try and fire it before leaving the range.

Please share photographs and your experiences.

Reactions: Philo

·
Registered
74 Posts
What's the EZ part of these new pistols? A lighter recoil spring so it's easier to rack the slide and put it into battery? I'm certainly no expert but if that is one of the EZ parts of the pistol wouldn't a failure to go into battery be more likely to occur? Especially so with a limp shooting wrist?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd like to see an evaluation of the design and build quality when you receive your pistol.

I've had multiple students show up with the .380 version, and had brand new guns jam up within shooting the first magazine. Jammed so well locked that we could not eject the chambered round, and had to try and fire it before leaving the range.

Please share photographs and your experiences.
I have no personal experience, but have been reading many reports of repeated last and next-to-last round stovepipes in the .380 EZ. I was going to buy one for my wife's first pistol, but decided against it. I am interested to see if the 9EZ has similar problems as well.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I've shot 90 and 100 grain bullets of several different types and manufacturers including the very light ARX ammo through my .380 EZ and have ZERO malfunctions. A shooting machine. I've also read reports of not being able to seat a full magazine with the slide in battery. No such problem with mine. The only problem I've encountered with the pistol was a mag release button that was 3/32" proud of the frame and caused unexpected mag release when holstered. Reversing the button cured the problem.
If the 9mm version is as good as my .380 , I'm gonna be a happy camper. I'll know Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
EZ9.jpg
The gun shop called last evening and the gun was there so I picked it up this morning. It's too miserable out today to shoot it but first impressions are excellent. All the good points of the .380 plus a few refinements that would have been on my wish list. A bit heavier and beefier than the .380 as expected but the weight makes it feel more substantial. Fit and finish are top shelf with no tool marks inside the slide. One thing I really like is Smith went to a 1911 style spring and plunger magazine release. On the .380 I spent about an hour with a long screwdriver moving things around inside the grip frame to reverse the release. This one took all of 20 seconds. The slide is a bit stiffer to rack but no problem for even my bad hands. All in all , I like what I see and the first decent day I get , I'll see how it shoots.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Aaargh! I just got the wife the .380 Shield EZ a few months ago. It's a great gun for her, and may work as a CC for me. I do enjoy shooting it despite the smallish grip.

Now they come out with this.

I'm picking up an M&P 9 M2.0 this morning at the LGS. We just had the "not planning on buying more guns" typical husband/wife chat as I was purchasing it at $80 off.

I guess I'll have to ask to see this new EZ now while I'm there..... and then wait for the next discount.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
Over the decades I've learned not to be a BetaTester, by the time I acquire a sample of what ever, others have worked out the bugs and inconsistence's. Being first has its plus and negative consequences.

·
Registered
12,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Boy, smith is getting their moneys worth on the shield platform.
It isn't really built on the Shield platform at all. They are slightly bigger in every dimension, have a grip safety and are hammer fired. The only thing "Shield" about it is the name, so the trademarked name, "Shield" is what they are getting their moneys worth of.
The gun is actually almost the same size as the M&P22 Compact, which is hammer fired and I have often wondered if the EZ was developed off this platform

1 - 13 of 13 Posts