Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is great news for local guys and all Americans.

There was a local gun range here for 10 years. It caught fire (due to someone firing a tracer). It stood vacant for 2 years. The former owners tried to sell it to a public storage facility. The neighborhood complained (I was one). The Zoning Board turned 'em down.

So, the price went down and some cool dudes from Athens, GA (home of R.E.M.--the band) bought it as a gun range. It opens next Monday. Great news.

·
Registered
21,975 Posts
Excellent news! Hopefully it will be used often. (y)(y)(y)

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
Surpised the neighbors who objected to a storage facility didn't object to a gun range.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Surpised the neighbors who objected to a storage facility didn't object to a gun range.
It was already a modern gun range so it would be it would be hard to withdraw the licence. The local police used it to keep up their firing requirements.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's also the red suburbs. Not many liberals around here.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
I went to college in Atlanta, surprising how much it has expanded to cities that were once WAY outside of town.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to high school here. We would go just out of town on the Chattahoochee River to drink beer and park. That area is now full of multi-million dollar homes. The river is the end of Atlanta and the start of Cobb County. Cobb has decent schools and 75% cheaper property taxes.

Funny how that works.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
My frat House Mother had a house on that river ; she had a HUGE rock that went out into the river which was perfect for landing after putting in at Morgan Falls and floating down stream for about 2 hours...........I remember passing some park like landing area just past where 41 crossed the river and her house was past that a little ways. Ga Tech used to have Ramblin' Raft races on the river.

Looks like that area has exploded and a new house is being built where hers was. When we were in college there might have been 5-6 houses in the whole area.....

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
....after putting in at Morgan Falls and floating down stream for about 2 hours...........I remember passing some park like landing area just past where 41 crossed the river and her house was past that a little ways. Ga Tech used to have Ramblin' Raft races on the river.
I now live off Bull Sluice Lake which is there due to the Morgan Fall dam. So, you went south on the river after the MF dam. It's a slow when in the dry season and fast when the big dam at Lake Lanier is draining.

I'd say floating down with several hundred drunk Tech guys was big until the early 1990's when they did a beer ban which was highly enforced. I'd say Cobb starts before Hwy 41 on the river. It then comes to Vinings which is where we went in HS. A part of it is in a flood zone so they build the houses off the ground with no basements.

Small world. You must be an engineer? My Dad was Textile Engineering with his brothers. He got shipped to Korea to fight the Chinese Communists.

·
Registered
12,334 Posts
I was there in the 70s, it was wide open...............and I went with Construction Mgt. in the school of Architecture

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We just got a reply on the local gun forums from one of the employees of the range. It is due to re-open 9-1-20. He called it a soft re-opening. I'll drop by and meet the staff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts