Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of this morning the calf count was 392. Almost 1/3 done with our spring calving cows. Weather hasn't been too bad just a little wet. I'll take the moisture this close to spring. So far it's gone pretty smooth other than the occasional backwards calf and the typical dystocia problems that come with expecting mommas and new borns.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Beautiful. Just a small chuckle to share: One time when we were driving through the countryside with the family, we passed a pasture with a lot of mamas with their new little ones. One of my young sons piped up and said, "Look at all of the cowlets!"

Some precious moments you remember always. That is one of them.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Due to cold weather conditions here in Wyoming this time of year, we don't start calving until the first blizzard in April.:D;)

Another tale from the High Lonesome about calving.
Spring Storm
My dad always said “if you start calving to early winter will bite you in the a#$ so wait and calve a little later and let an Easter blizzard kick you in n#@s”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Your Dad knew what he was talking about.. Only thing is spring storms don't seem to last quite as long..
One day I was headed toward the ranch north of Laramie in January and saw a bunch of cows and calves along side the highway and a calf walking on leg bones. His feet were gone.. I never forgot that nor forgave the owner for letting that happen.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
392 and only 1/3 done? That's a lot of goofy little critters to babysit. Looks like a healthy bunch to me. Do you use AI or go the old fashioned way?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
392 and only 1/3 done? That's a lot of goofy little critters to babysit. Looks like a healthy bunch to me. Do you use AI or go the old fashioned way?
Old fashion way. It would be a nightmare to AI 1100 head of momma cows. Another thing with AI is they would all calve in a small time frame. Alls it takes is one late winter storm or an Easter blizzard and we would have a wreck on our hands. We have a calving period of 60 days. Calves are more even come time to wean and it keeps from having late cycling cows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts