Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I have bought the speer tubes and load my own with 7-1\2 shot. 38 special is good 44 mag really puts a copperhead down IMG_20170314_100007_kindlephoto-51844703.jpg I keep my Ruger loaded just in case

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I haven't seen the Browning stuff, but I have bought some of the newer CCI that is loaded with heavier shot than the #12 they used previously. The new loads have a red cap and are loaded with 81 to 110 grains of #4. The old stuff was useless on a decent sized snake, but did work for carpenter bees and mice. I have not had to use the new CCI, but I am sure I will this summer.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
The CCI loads took care of a snake incursion into my house a couple of years ago.
How they got in , I don't know . My Model 15 and the shotshells accounted for both 5 foot blacksnakes.
As an aside , touching off a .38 in your bedroom without hearing protection ruins the audio of ones favorite evening TV programming .

·
Registered
16,571 Posts
I will say this from personal experience with Browning 22 ammo. Check the ammo closely. I got 3 of the 22 ammo bricks that were around 350 rounds (early last year and took them back as upon inspection some of the plated rounds actually fell out of the casing and many were very loose (could move with finger about 5 degree tilt) and did not want to shoot out of any gun and could see issue in semis. Each brick had about 90 each of the 22 bullets I considered not usable. Got credit at my LGS for it and have not tried since. Just word of caution to check them before buying. Hopefully they got their quality control straightened out.

·
Banned
918 Posts
I haven't seen the Browning stuff, but I have bought some of the newer CCI that is loaded with heavier shot than the #12 they used previously. The new loads have a red cap and are loaded with 81 to 110 grains of #4. The old stuff was useless on a decent sized snake, but did work for carpenter bees and mice. I have not had to use the new CCI, but I am sure I will this summer.
That's what we're using here in Florida, too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Most recent, I made up 4 boxes or so for the 1917 pictured above, using modified ,308 brass. I couple learning curves but all came out well in the end. Probably a life time supply. next project will be some .500S&W shot shells, and some .38S&W shells using some grits for bumble bees. :)

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Will give the Browning load a look/see. Have used the CCI .38/.357 shotshell load a lot. Extremely effective on snakes of all sizes. On really big stuff, simply give it a second shot. No big deal. Really messes them up. They don't have much interest in doing anything at all after the first round. But, I always shoot everything twice regardless of what the first round does. Same w/ .45 ACP and .44 Mag. CCI shotloads. Just don't care to depend on a single shot. Sincerely. bruce.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts