Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new ar15 and the barrel is marked 5.56. I tried to load the mag with maxx tech 5.56 and the round will not chamber. It gets jammed in the chamber every time the bolt goes forward. The 223 feeds with no problems. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be the ammo? I havnt tried another brand yet. Thanks Kevin 2

·
Registered
281 Posts
I haven't used any of that brand but I've used several different brands of 5.56 in my Sport II both brass cased and steel. It runs everything like grease through a goose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just bought a new ar15 and the barrel is marked 5.56. I tried to load the mag with maxx tech 5.56 and the round will not chamber. It gets jammed in the chamber every time the bolt goes forward. The 223 feeds with no problems. Anyone else have this issue? Could it be the ammo? I havnt tried another brand yet. Thanks Kevin 2
Through my Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II, I have shot:
  • Winchester Lake City M193 55 Gr 5.56 NATO (200 rounds)
  • PMC X-TAC FMJBT 55 Gr 5.56 NATO (60 rounds)
  • Frontier/Hornady 55 Gr FMJBT 5.56 NATO (40 rounds)
No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Is there any way you can test some of that same Maxx Tech ammo in another factory spec AR just to see if it might be the issue, though if it chambers fine, that may still be inconclusive. If it experiences tight chambering, similar to your Sport II, I think you might have something there. Also, I'm sure you've done a good cleaning and visual inspection of the chamber, it looks good, yeah?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This gun shoots 223 with no problem at all. I just bought a box of federals 5.56 but haven't tried them yet. Smith and Wesson told me send it in and they would check it. The gun is clean. I was going to try to put a round in the chamber just see if it will get stuck, but you really have to pull back on the bolt to get it out if it does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts