Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New to forum, and was seeking some help. I have a S&W Regulation Police (marked 38 S&W ctg) , chrome finish, 2 1/2" bbl, fixed sights, 5 screws, Serial #28515. I'd sure appreciate any info on this gun (history, age, value).
Also, the gun does have some rust -
any recommendations for cleaning it would help as I'm a little nervous about how to do it without damaging the finish.
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Welcome to S&W.

Me? I would remove grips and set piece in a pail of ATF for a week or three (time is your friend)

Whilst it is soaking? Look up some vids on line...get some good screw drivers...

Then? Totally disassemble piece and give good cleaning...

Am thinking? Your ejector rod is a RIGHT HAND thread...(later models are left hand threads.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,431 Posts
pre WW2 , made between 1917-1940 serial range 1-54000.. probably mid/later part of the 1920s for that one, someone may have a better date..

Reg police guns were primarily made as a 4" barrel on the square butt I frame.

Barrel lengths are measured from the cylinder face to the end of the barrel, that one looks more like 3 and some change?

looks like that one has had some surgery along the way.. nose job an a butt tuck 😎
along with a nickel refinish.. those grips are also later - from the 1950's

be interested in some pics of the gun with the grips off, to see what was done to the grip frame..
and pics of the other side with caliber marking..

·
Premium Member
22,382 Posts
Well, perhaps I should elaborate. Since the barrel has been bobbed, it would be prudent to check out the action to make sure it indexes and locks up correctly. The shortened barrel kills any collector value but doesn't make it unsafe to shoot. There appears to be nothing wrong with the grip frame. There is a step (AKA rebate) in the back strap by design. The Regulation Police guns came with round to square butt extension grips where the wood of the grip was designed to mate up with that rebate to present a uniform rear surface to the hand. See below:

The RP's are built on the I frame. I frame hand ejector grips, like yours, will fit and work ok, but are designed for a smooth, unstepped backstrap. J frame grips that totally enclose the backstrap, like target or combat-style grips, will work. Obviously, replacement RP grips would be most correct, but they can be hard to find and pricey. They also will not improve the handle or aid in shooting more accurately. Since this gun is a shooter, I recommend using newer J frame grips for best hand feel and accuracy. YMMV.

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,431 Posts
Well, the whole thing doesn't sound very good. Do I even bother working on it?
depends on what your goal is.. did you buy it for carry or defense as a bedside/truck gun, or something as a collectible/hobby interest? is it a family/friend piece that has sentimental value?

my 2 cents.. 😏

as a 'collector' piece, the modifications have made it undesirable and you would be better off moving it. you shouldn't consider 'restoring' it as an investment - you wont get the value back.

a lot of modified guns have hobbyist interest - this could be an interesting project but needs some work, and how far you go with depends on your interest in tinkering with it and your pocketbook. hobbyist pieces may not return the investment but there is satisfaction for some in the doing.

as a defense role, there are MANY better options. But a gun in the hand certainly beats a stick or a rock, so first thing you want to know does it reliably function as it should. if it doesn't move it on.

if it has sentimental value and you just want to preserve it and display it - then some elbow grease on the cleanup, some Mothers Mag polish to make it shine (auto-parts store) and a wax (Renaissance wax) afterwards will get you there without significant investment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! Great info, thank you all again! I wish I had some history on this piece, but I don't. As far as a defense gun? Absolutely not! Thankfully I have much better options that I carry. I'll probably check with some friends and see if anyone wants a little project. Thank you all again!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts