Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having the opportunity to fire a friend's 686SSR from the Performance Center, I went ahead and ordered one for myself. It is a modern but attractive and businesslike looking revolver with good balance, a wonderfully smooth trigger and point of aim accuracy. I am firing handloaded , jacketed 125 grain 38 spl +p and 357 loads out of it. I am an experienced handloader. I have noticed that it occasionally will not light off a magnum primer (WSPM). These primers seem to have a heavier cup than standard primers do. This may be a function of the light action trigger/hammer that this revolver came with. Anyone with similar experience? Back to S & W or home fix? Thanks!

·
Administrator
8,101 Posts
Hello hhagan and welcome to the forum!

I'm not familiar enough with the model you're talking about to answer your question but I'm sure someone will come along who can. In the meantime, enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
197 Posts
My SSR never had a failure to fire or malfunctions of any kind with any ammo tried. I did shoot factory Winchester .357 125 jhp, which I assume would use the same magnum primers you mentioned, with no problems. The factory action on mine was very smooth, but no lighter than the run-of-the-mill S&W. My SSR was a very solid, dependable gun. I'd contact S&W and get it back to them if I had a problem. I've had very good luck over the years with S&W's Customer Service.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts