Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this from a friend and couldn't turn down trying to turn this butcher job around. Here is what I started with:

And here is the finish, need to put on some sights(on order) then she will need a polish job, and some tig welding on the trigger guard.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
:shock: Good Lord!

I'd love to read a play by play with this one.

In that third picture, is the cylinder just not shut or is there really that much of a gap between the crane and frame?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Did you put a new cylinder in it or did you fill all those cuts in it up? I cant believe some one would butcher up a nice gun like that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Poor little thing... hope you reported the previous owner for revolver abuse.... :cry:

That old gun will be a real challenge... look forward to seeing your progress...

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
Nice job, I don't weld, so how are you going to fill those cuts? Is tig welding done with stainless steel wire? Then I assume a lot of filing and sanding and polishing will come next.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
:eek:

The previous owner should have been beaten with a 10 pound bag of nickles for doing that to a Smith & Wesson....

I applaud your rescue efforts.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice job Bullseye!! :D

What blows my mind is that someone would take a classy revolver and abuse the hell out of it!! :shock: SICK-O!!! :x

Kirt

·
Registered
489 Posts
That is such bizarre treatment that I wonder if the guy who did it was trying to hit an exact reduced weight for some purpose. Did you weigh the gun before starting restoration? A six-inch 686 weighs 44 oz. Was the other guy trying to get down to exactly 40? Incomprehensible.

I don't get the cut-out on the jeweled side plate. Was there supposed to be a polymer insert so you could see the action move when you cycled it?

Completely insane. Congratulations on the nice job of restoring its honor.

David W.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Words fail me on seeing what a hack job was done before you got it.
Congrats on a nice rebuild! Now maybe some flames down the barrel? :shock:
Just kiddin.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
I can only wish that I was so talented that I could do that kind of gunsmithing. Some guys build M-1911's from a bunch of custom parts, and fit them all together. THAT's being serious about a gun hobby!!!! :eek: Bob

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
A very nice recovery indeed!!

But the thing that still has me scratching my head is the "skeletonized" side plate... nvonjvila What in the world was THAT about????

1 - 13 of 13 Posts