Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 686-6 4", which promptly went to S&W for repair. Just got it back and have not shot it yet see prior post.

Yesterday I went to the LGS and found the mate for my 4"...... a 686-6 + 2.5" This had my name on it and it followed me home....! I am selling my CZ SP-01 to help pay for this purchase.... It was a great gun.... low recoil and very accurate.... However my real interest is in Revolvers at the moment...!

I have high hopes that this one will be a winner out of the box and that the repairs on my 4" will also be spot on...! I knew that the S&W Revolver bug would bite me bad and it has. I know that many of you prefer older models, prior to 1980 =/-, however I do not have a problem with the newer guns. I have read that the specifications and tolerances are tighter than they have ever been on the new guns, which brings consistency to the new offerings that didn't exist when there was more hand fitting done. I'm not saying that the new guns are better, I am only saying that I do not think that they have really gone down hill.... Just my opinion...!

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
One of the problems that I have with the new guns........is that the trigger pull must be all of 10 lbs.!!!!! I prefer it to be stock, about 5 lbs. since most of my older Smith's are for CCW. My old M-17-4 6" must have been 2-3 lbs. for target shooting. (y) Bob

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
Really like your grips and also the fact that you find the newer guns to shoot just as well as the older ones....!
Thanks! My wife got me the grips for my birthday last month. They are from Thailand, via Ebay. I also have Thai grips on my 3 incher. I bought it used, last year. The test fire date on the little yellow brass envelope had a tested date that corresponds with my birthday, so I figure it was meant to be mine. These are also thai grips

·
Registered
26 Posts
I bought a set of diamond target replicas for my 14-2. The ones that came on it are stashed in a safe. They were made by veteran and sold on ebay at similar pricing. They’re are a lot of options out there these days, factory replacements aren’t in the running for me. I am a sucker for a set of Kim Ahrends however.

Edit: I was just on Ahrends website and apparently they are out of business!! Talk about end of an era! So sad to see that. I guess whats on ebay will be the end of the supply Order while you can.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I recently purchased a 686-6 4", which promptly went to S&W for repair. Just got it back and have not shot it yet see prior post.

Yesterday I went to the LGS and found the mate for my 4"...... a 686-6 + 2.5" This had my name on it and it followed me home....! I am selling my CZ SP-01 to help pay for this purchase.... It was a great gun.... low recoil and very accurate.... However my real interest is in Revolvers at the moment...!

I have high hopes that this one will be a winner out of the box and that the repairs on my 4" will also be spot on...! I knew that the S&W Revolver bug would bite me bad and it has. I know that many of you prefer older models, prior to 1980 =/-, however I do not have a problem with the newer guns. I have read that the specifications and tolerances are tighter than they have ever been on the new guns, which brings consistency to the new offerings that didn't exist when there was more hand fitting done. I'm not saying that the new guns are better, I am only saying that I do not think that they have really gone down hill.... Just my opinion...!

We look forward to the range report and pics.:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One of the problems that I have with the new guns........is that the trigger pull must be all of 10 lbs.!!!!! I prefer it to be stock, about 5 lbs. since most of my older Smith's are for CCW. My old M-17-4 6" must have been 2-3 lbs. for target shooting. (y) Bob
Bob..... Both of my 686-6"s have about a 5# SA and a 12# DA trigger pull Which for me works great...! I do have a Ruger 22/45 Mark IV with a Volquartsen trigger package that is about 2.5" trigger pull.... Fantastic for the range but way to touchy for the field..... My CCW has been my H&K VP9SK, which has a 4.5# trigger..... My 2.5" 686 S&W will probably also earn some CCW time as well....!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts