Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from town a while ago. My original intent was to go the the Liquor store and get me some teqilla and then go to the HEB and get some groceries and beer.
Since the traffic wasn't too bad I stopped at the gunstore.
I found a 4" 686-2 red insert front, white outline rear sight, target stocks,standard hammer, smooth trigger and full under lug (if thats the proper term). Seems to be in real good shape, no scratches and very faint turnline. $425 plus tax.
I don't now much about the L frame. Seems like it fits ok in my EPS Tom Threepersons and my Sparks #200aw for 4" N frames.
Seems like ive been finding pretty good .357's the last couple of years. Started with a 6" 28-2, then 4" 28 4-screw, 4" 19-5 and now this one.
Now to run a few rags through the barrel and chambers, load it up and wait for a worthy target to present itself.

Scott

·
Registered
273 Posts
I ran into almost the same gun last month 25 bucks more than you paid. 686-3 in nice shape. I never thought much about the 686's Nice old Smiths I like K's for 38's and N's for 45's New guns I shoot IDPA with 625's in 45 ACP. Could not see any real reason for a mid size L frame.

I was wrong though. This 686 performs better than my K's or N's in match shooting. Tight groups fast handling, the size and weight soaks up recoil but not as slow on target as a 357 N frame. Am running mine with Jet Loaders and they are nearly as fast as Moon clips. Now trying to make my mind up on running the 686 in SSR instead of 625 In ESR next year.

Will have to post some photos.

Boats

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got done cleaning the 686. Either it was very well maintined or not shot much at all, it's like new. There is a date stamp under the grips 1988.
Now I am not one to go to the range and waste bullets for no good reason. Tomorrow I will take off the 19-5 and put this one on. Maybe go see if turtles are still infesting my cow tank, or not.
It will get shot sooner ot later.

Scott

1 - 3 of 3 Posts