Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to pick up this model 66 today. Sold a malfunctioning 36 to get the final payment (the buyer was well aware of the malfunction and we both walked away happy). I think it’s a 74 or 75 which makes it about 15 years older than I am. It came with the original box which helped sell me on it when I put it on layaway. I wish it had the original grips but I actually really like the feel of the Pachmyrs’ on it. My first 4” K frame, really doubt it’ll be the last. I just love these classic S&Ws, I’ve done a lot of reading and research and can’t wait to have a collection like some of you guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Great revolver! Looks wonderful. Pachmayrs are really helpful. After shooting a couple of boxes of heavy magnum loads, you will appreciate how much the help you enjoy rather than merely endure the experience. Mine is a 66-2. Just superb. One of the best revolvers every produced by S&W. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That one will bring a smile to your face. My 4" 66-2 is my absolute favorite shooter. I'll never part with it.

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
Simply... in two words:

"Good Choice!"

​Congratulations.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Great looking Model 66, congrats. I’ve been looking for a 66 for a while but no luck so far. I’m glad you found a nice one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm sure you are aware that the 66's ( and other .357 K-frames) didn't exactly thrive on a steady diet of full house .357 ammo, particularly hot 125 gr loads. Feed it .38 Specials and your grandchildren won't wear it out.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Great gun. Crummy grips. You will be able to find some that will look great on that gun. Nice get with the box.

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
I would shoot mostly .38 Spl. +P in a M-66. Use only 158 Gr. Med. Vel. (1200ft/sec) .357 ammo only. Don't use the .357 Mag hot stuff.....you'll ruin a M-66. Bob

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey D,

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone, I did look into them extensively before I brought it home and read about potential issues with really hot 357 and to use 158 grain. I had read that the 66 might be a little sturdier than the 19s because it’s stainless. In either case I will mostly be using 38s for fun and +p for protection. 357 will probably just be for range occasionally. A highway patrolman is in the future some where for 357 use and I don’t have to worry about scuffing it up like a 27. I was going to buy some original Goncalo target grips but I kept coming across different guns I had to have. I appreciate having somewhere to post new guns and being able to draw on the knowledge of all the forum members.

·
Registered
22,215 Posts
Nice 66 indeed! Looks in fine shape and it will perform as well. Congrats!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts