Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a solid, very well-engineered machine! And many of us thought that our former, little Makarovs are the real tanks.

I'm 64 and only got into handguns about four years ago.
This superb product is for the club range, as I (already) have a Sig P6, Walther P99 'AS' and CZ PCR for carry.

The two-piece plastic grips on this seem a little bit thick, and for better hand hold standardization, are there some low-cost, thinner grips which are designed for the 5906/6906?

It's not an issue--again, it's for the private club--but would be nice to have a slightly narrower, familiar hold.
Am a Lefty. This should not require any explanation.

Registered
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
Hogue makes some aftermarkets - but due to the design, not a lot of options - as a double stack - the mag well is larger..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
blazermark: Thanks. This gun's grip thickness is not too much more than with my CZ PCR and Walther P99 AS.

Main point here is how fortunate I was to have discovered the classic S&W semi-autos.

My friend asked me a week ago to clean his 2012 (or so) S&W 1911, and YouTube depicted these 59 series.
*The model numbering system --to me-- seems stranger than the "chin" proof marks and codes on 100% German Sigs etc.

Registered
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
.... The model numbering system --to me-- seems stranger than the "chin" proof marks and codes on 100% German Sigs etc.
there actually 'is' a rhyme to the numbering. except when there is not.. :ROFLMAO:

Premium Member
Never seen two piece grips for 5906 are they Pachmayrs ? O.E delrin grips are one piece slip on curved and straight will fit if large hands, maybe order from Midway USA if in stock
0909171018.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to you guys.

blazermark: even my multiple Google searches never produced that chart.
Thanks very much. Really interesting.

From my ignorant viewpoint, this series seems to be the answer to LEO agencies' past requests for guns generally similar to a 1911, but in DA/SA (or DAO)鈥.whether intended for just the range (my case), or carry.

* Does this website provide an Edit function After a reply is posted?

Premium Member
Thanks to you guys.

From my ignorant viewpoint, this series seems to be the answer to LEO agencies' past requests for guns generally similar to a 1911, but in DA/SA (or DAO)鈥.whether intended for just the range (my case), or carry.

Yes... on top right corner of your post, there are 3 vertical dots, clicking on that gets you into edit.

Reactions: msharley

Registered
Thanks to you guys.

Hey L,

Way cool on the 5906!

As for editing....at the top right corner of the POST, you will see three vertical dots. Click on those. The "Edit" feature will "appear". Click on "Edit". (I'm too dang dumb to do a fool screen shot) LOL For a "screen shot", Cricket posted one on Post #9 in "Community". Community Feedback: We Are Live!

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

Premium Member
The 5906 originally came with a 1 piece zytel grip that is quite thin. You dhould be able to find one in good condition on Ebay.

Registered
The 5906 originally came with a 1 piece zytel grip that is quite thin. You dhould be able to find one in good condition on Ebay.
To add to 19and41's advice. Numrich gun parts has NOS S&W factory grips for the 5906 in stock for about 28 bucks. I know this because I bought 2 about 2 months ago, before the pandemic. They are in NY state so they are shut down right now.

Premium Member
The OEM's are great grips. If I didn't use Crimson Traces, I'd have 'em

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jb59:

Maybe the grip on this new gun only appears to have a very thin split.
Probably my unfamiliarity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts