Smith And Wesson Forums banner

New 27-2 3.5” and box questions?

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Dhstheiv 
#1 ·
So went to the gun show this morning, happy to have em back open. My plan was to sell a couple guns and buy a Colt python but instead I ended up with a new 27-2. I was trying to horse trade with the guy and my girlfriend, increasingly frustrated with his offers said never mind we’ll just buy it happy Father’s Day don’t ask for more stuff. She’s the best. So I bought it as in box but after getting it home the box is pretty ill fitting. It’s about the same size as my 4 inch k frame. It doesn’t have any silver writing identifying the model it does have a label that matches but I know you can buy labels by the dozen. I haven’t handled an N frame box but I assume they would be larger if any one can solve this mystery for me it would be appreciated. It did have all the tools and they look unused, all the paper works there and I got the gun home and it looks pretty much unfired. No top strap cutting, clean cylinders and barrel, no marks from shells slapping the frame, no bluing loss on the front of the cylinder or carbon. So maybe I got the wrong box but I got a near mint gun. Serial #168xxx

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Man that blueing is beautiful.

Don't know about the box, but someone here will.

Congrats on owning that lovely firearm.

#6 ·
I know you’ve been wanting one from your posts. One day things will just work out and bam there’s your dream gun. Layaway is your friend. I didn’t think I’d be able to get one any time soon a few months ago when I started collecting S&W. Now I have a pre 27 and this one. I’m not a wealthy guy either by any means.
When your looking to get one I’d be happy to hook you up with the guy I bought the pre 27 from. One of the best guys I’ve ever done business with and he has reasonable layaway terms.

#11 ·
a 1973/74 gun - very nice piece....

In that timeframe, I would expect that it would have come in a box with one side pre-printed to the gun model and barrel size and the other side a sticky paper label hand entered.

The model specific printed boxes started phasing out in 1980 or so, in favor of similar but standardized boxes that had plain ends and a computer printed end label..

Like everything else S&W, the factory continued to use up what was in inventory at same time newer items were being used.
I've pictures of orig boxes with full model printing for serial numbers into mid 80's.

The one-piece cardboard box labeled revolver/pistol began phasing in '83.. but the 2 piece box overlapped a few years.

#12 ·
I didn’t look too much at the box before buying it (rookie mistake) and the price was good for the gun with or with out box. He had a few s&w in boxes and his wife said oh yeah he buys em and sticks em in the safe and they’ve just been sitting for years. So I assumed it was the correct one. I started doubting it was correct when it didn’t have any model info on it and the gun just seems too big for it. Worst case I got a beautiful 27-2 with all the tools at a decent price. I’m very happy with it and thank you all for the kind words!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.