Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I un-boxed my new 2.0, it came with a bright green cable gun lock made by Lockdown [in China, of course]

As a new pistol owner, keeping it locked, even with this unit, seems like a good idea. I even wondered if storing the 2.0 with the slide locked back might eventually cause that super-strength spring to lighten up a little.

Question: Is this lock just something that had to be shipped with the pistol in order to satisfy some regulation, or is it worthwhile to use it? Or is there something better out there? Or are these a waste of time/money in general.

Sorry for the newbie post, but I did do a search about this and came up empty.

Thanks as always for everyone's time.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
When I un-boxed my new 2.0, it came with a bright green cable gun lock made by Lockdown [in China, of course]

As a new pistol owner, keeping it locked, even with this unit, seems like a good idea. I even wondered if storing the 2.0 with the slide locked back might eventually cause that super-strength spring to lighten up a little.

Question: Is this lock just something that had to be shipped with the pistol in order to satisfy some regulation, or is it worthwhile to use it? Or is there something better out there? Or are these a waste of time/money in general.

Sorry for the newbie post, but I did do a search about this and came up empty.

Thanks as always for everyone's time.
Locks are required to be with new guns whatever type of lock works, Trigger lock, cable lock etc,

Can't say I have ever used one. What ever you local law or household condition requires.

·
Premium Member
18,420 Posts
One of those keyboard combination nightstand lockers might be a easier access means of locking your pistol.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
23,466 Posts
The guns I'm not using are locked in my safe. I never use a trigger lock, the times I needed a gun there was no time to fiddle w/ such things. I sure wouldn't trust anything Chinese made to work when things are going south fast.

·
Registered
32,974 Posts
I either repurpose them to something more useful or throw them away. I never use a gun lock on any gun, especially one used for HD/SD.

Reactions: Bob K and Injunbro

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you are a long time gun aquire'er then you will quickly accumulate a bunch of them. If you dont have a safe and there are children around its certainly better than nothing i suppose. If you go out of the house sans gun it might feel good to use it. You certainly cant just pull them apart so in that regard they work. I use a couple as helmet locks on my motorcycle and no one has stolen one yet.

The lock can be finicky so i wouldnt use it in any application where I needed anything close to quick access. I sometimes have to fiddle with the key just so to get them to lock up.

As far as softening the spring. You may be out of luck. I am not a metalurgist but i remember reading an article by one during the dreaded "can i keep magazines loaded" debate and the upshot was that it is the action of compression and rebound that softens or lessens the longevity of springs and not simply being compressed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I travel thru multiple states on a regular basis and use the lock that came with my XD all the time to ensure that I’m in federal compliance. Firearm locked, ammo locked in a separate container locked. I have a bunch more that came with other firearms, some Mossberg yellow ones and a red one that appeared at some point. Im sure my wife’s 1911 came with one but have no idea where that one is. The rest of my firearms are either loaded and deployed, or locked in the safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I have a drawer full of such locks. Occasionally, I find a neighbor who needs one for something. If I sell a gun and have a lock for it, it goes with the gun. Just doin' my part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.