Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, this is my second Marlin purchased this week. Go figure. Have you ever looked for a particular gun for months and then find two in five days? I did happen to me with a S&W revolver(s) about 10 years ago.

This Marlin is one year younger (1974), and it came with a nice scope. It has had an easy life.

My other rifles are 30/30 while this is a 35 Remington round (almost the same on target, IMO).

Pics are better than words.

Not expensive @ $450

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
Nice score on the classic Marlins.

(y) (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very good price on a fine old lever gun.
It was sure a price that I couldn't walk away from.

It's a weird market today due to the shortages of some home defense guns. I am less smart then you guns, but the old hand finished 20"-24" rifles are my favorites at these prices.

I bought my home defense Remington 870 18" 12 gauge fixed choke back in 2012 for $275. I see them now for $500+.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Yep, this is my second Marlin purchased this week. Go figure. Have you ever looked for a particular gun for months and then find two in five days? I did happen to me with a S&W revolver(s) about 10 years ago.

This Marlin is one year younger (1974), and it came with a nice scope. It has had an easy life.

My other rifles are 30/30 while this is a 35 Remington round (almost the same on target, IMO).

Pics are better than words. View attachment 483435
View attachment 483436

View attachment 483437
View attachment 483438

Not expensive @ $450
Another gem! The .35 Remington shoots a 170gr to 200gr bullet at the same velocity as a 30-30 shoots a 150gr to 170gr bullet. You probably wouldnt see much difference on a White Tail, but on a Mule Deer, Elk or Black Bear, I think you would see better penetration. Not a huge difference but the hole would be slightly larger too

·
Super Moderator
35,557 Posts
Very nice Marlin! A 336 in .35 caliber is one my husband wants, along with one in .45 LC, .444, perhaps one in .44 Magnum...the list continues to grow.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wendy,
I am up for a 35 Remington, a .357 Magnum, or the 30/30 I can enjoy the range time.

It gets dicey for me after that. I tested a .45-70 in a Marlin and thought my shoulder might also explode. The rounds are also about $2 on each round.

I'd really like to get a Marlin or a Winchester (or both) in .357 Magnum. It's my goal today.

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice grab. I have always liked the 35 REM. And the scope to boot.
Rod,
Long story, but I got the 35 Rem at Chuck's from a hint from a friend. The rest of their lever-action inventory was in the $750-$9000 range. :oops:

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here in PA you usually see quite a few used lever actions for sale, especially in 30-30 or 35 remington. That's just about all anyone around here carried for deer 30-40 years ago
I only look in GA. It can cost me another $100 for shipping and handling from another State. This is not good on a $500 rifle.

I can legally buy at a gun store here and pay the sales tax or do a legal private transfer among GA friends. No fees and no problems.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
I just took a quick look at an area online listing. There were 2 Marlin 336's for sale in .35 Remington. One was a 1974 and was just like the one posted originally here, but without a scope, asking $550. The other was a 336 ADL with 2/3 length magazine tube, Factory handcut checkering and factory sling swivels along with a Bishop stock. The Bishop stock is fairly rare and was only used on about 5,000 rifles a year from 56-62. That one listed is a 1958 at $1000. I dont know about the ADl, but the other would probably normally sell around here at $450, but of course, this year is not normal

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just took a quick look at an area online listing. There were 2 Marlin 336's for sale in .35 Remington. One was a 1974 and was just like the one posted originally here, but without a scope, asking $550.
That seems high since I was in at $450 with a scope.

We also trade guns here among honest GA citizens with no fees.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
That seems high since I was in at $450 with a scope.
I agree, but I think you made out pretty well if its a decent scope
We also trade guns here among honest GA citizens with no fees.
Same here in PA. We can sell or trade long guns without running it through an FFL for a background check, but not handguns. About a year ago when there was a gun glut you could find nice JM stamped Marlins for $350-400 pretty regularly. Prices on hunting rifles usually go up a bit here in the fall, before deer season, then drop after Christmas

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ordered and got some nice Hornady ammo.

Current ammo is expensive. No kidding? People want to protect their property and business from evil forces.

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
I had a Marlin just like that......with a scope. It turned out to be fairly heavy. I prefer light guns, so I traded it for something else. I bought a Winchester 94 in .30-30, and put on a Williams receiver sight, which proved to be a couple lbs. lighter.(About 6 lbs.) I like a scope, but the extra weight on a heavy Marlin just didn't suit me. I prefer a short, light, easy to carry, handy carbine to carry with me in the woods. Bob

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
... I bought a Winchester 94 in .30-30, and put on a Williams receiver sight, which proved to be a couple lbs. lighter.(About 6 lbs.) I like a scope, but the extra weight on a heavy Marlin just didn't suit me...
Bob,

I agree 100% on the Winchester. I bought (and still own) my first one from 1974 (top). I also have two pre-1964 rifles (a 1950 and a 1949). I love them for hunting and/or blowing up watermelons. :) Winchester (the side plate screw alignment is different, the old ones are #2, and #3):

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.