Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew has a deer hunt coming up this weekend and wanted a new stock. It's a 7mm Mag and the recoil is enough to slow his quest for the best deer bullet/load combination. He ordered an unfinished stock from Boyds {$70} and dropped it off for me to finish {he had it for a week and had no time} so I went to town on it. Because of the time constraints, I used linseed oil {what I had} and went to Cabelas for a recoil pad {Sorbathane is a gift from God IMHO} and sling studs. Wish I had time for another 10 coats, but, I still need to try some 140 gr. bullets.
Before and after pics

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Great job, Mick!

Your nephew is going the opposite direction of most folks - fiberglass-to-wood..... That lam. wood stock was a bargain at $70 - and a great improvement for that rifle/cartridge combo, IMO! Won't be nearly such a brutal kicker now.

xtm

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Very nice stock. Almost too pretty to take to the field. :( I'd bet he shoots a great deal better with that stock than the "other" one. That enclosed thumbhole is also supposed to help with recoil and the Sorbathane pad is really touted as one of the best. Should help a lot. I hunted with my Dad's Rem. 7 mag. for years after he couldn't anymore and I must say, it does thump on both ends. It was pretty much overkill for these small Central Texas deer.

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Your nephew could have bought it with a different stock direct from Savage. They offer several kinds of stocks. Bob

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bob K said:
Your nephew could have bought it with a different stock direct from Savage. They offer several kinds of stocks. Bob
That is the rifle he wanted, in that configuration, {for a while}. A few of us went in together to give it to him as a graduation present when he came out of the acadamy as an Az. DPS officer six or so years ago. We gave him the whole enchilada, rifle, scope,reloading dies, brass, powder,,,,, everything. He disapeared for a while and came back out all red eyed.
The pictures don't do it justice, the wood looks pretty good for a $70 stock. As far as my finishing it, time is about all it takes to have one come out well

·
Registered
19,775 Posts
Mick, I understand completely......sometimes things aren't quite what you expected!!! With you stating how simple it is to refinish the stock with linseed oil.......I may give it a try ....afterall. ;) Bob

·
Banned
732 Posts
"With you stating how simple it is to refinish the stock with linseed oil"

Personally, I wouldn't. There are much better finishes available starting with pure Tung oil. It goes on much the same way a BLO but gives superior water resistance.

Bruce

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
It's a 7mm Mag and the recoil is enough to slow his quest for the best deer bullet/load combination.
Mick,
Really fine rifle.
IMOH, You might want to look into having a muzzle break put on the end of that barrel for him.
I have a Savage Model 110, 30-06 and it kicked the s*it out of me everytime I put a round downrange. My gunsmith recommended putting the break on it and I love shooting it now.
It cut the recoil by more than half, and I can place rounds side by side at 100 Yds.
It only cost me $95 to have it done and I had my rifle back in 3 days.
My Smith is the exception to the rule with his delivery speed, but he and his assistant put in 13 hour days 5 days a week to keep up with the demand. If nothing else it will make his rifle much more pleasurable to shoot, and he will shoot much more often.
~GQ~

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is going to put a brake on it when time allows. He is considering having it mag na ported also. Linseed oil may not be the best finish, but it is what I had and this is Arizona. We have had about 5" of rain here, for the year so far, average humidity is in the teens and a good heavy dew in the morning is considered rainfall :D. When it is raining cats and dogs, the humity is still only 80-85 % and that only lasts while it's raining.
I think the mistake alot of people make in finishing a stock {IMHO} is putting on a heavy coat of what ever finish they choose. Lots of coats, put on thin seem to work better {again, IMHO} and look better, given time to dry completly between coats. Here, I could get only two coats in one day, one first thing in the morning and another later in the afternoon {it was in the 90s and as stated above, quite dry}, where other places/locations may only allow one coat/day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts