Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LGS just got in a decent S&W 5904 with a serial number of TDDXXXX. The problem is the "TDD" part. My Smith book states that they were produced from 1988-98. The issue is on page 492. It shows the 3-digit letters during the production run, but not TDD. I don't think I overlooked anything but I don't know why it's not listed. Maybe I can tell him it's a counterfeit and offer him $75 for it. :ROFLMAO: Any ideas? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I don't see any problem. The TDD prefix would mean it was made in the early 3rd Gen era... either 1989 or 1990. That's when most of the Model 5904 pistols were made. I assume it has the squared 1st trigger guard. Most do. Even though the Model 5904 is listed in several places as in production as late as 1998, that is kind of misleading as most of the later guns were for special orders, not for regular commercial distribution.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't see any problem. The TDD prefix would mean it was made in the early 3rd Gen era... either 1989 or 1990. That's when most of the Model 5904 pistols were made. I assume it has the squared 1st trigger guard. Most do. Even though the Model 5904 is listed in several places as in production as late as 1998, that is kind of misleading as most of the later guns were for special orders, not for regular commercial distribution.
That's just it. Although it does have the squared trigger guard, I cannot find any reference as to the TDD prefix. Where did you find that the TDD was a 3rd Generation and that it was made in '89 or '90? My only reference was to that page 492 I mentioned earlier and it doesn't list TDD. I'm confuzzled.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
That's just it. Although it does have the squared trigger guard, I cannot find any reference as to the TDD prefix. Where did you find that the TDD was a 3rd Generation and that it was made in '89 or '90? My only reference was to that page 492 I mentioned earlier and it doesn't list TDD. I'm confuzzled.

Not all three letter prefixes for 3rd gens are listed on page 492 of the Bible. Not even close. One has to interpolate and interpret as best one can for date estimating purposes using the prefixes that are listed and other knowledge about the gun in question. Your TDD prefixed Model 5904 with 1st trigger guard fits well into the prefix sequence exactly where it should... i.e., somewhere between 1989 and 1990. :unsure:

Now, that said, the three letter prefixes were not always used in exact order. They sometimes jumped around a little or a lot for various reasons. Your best bet for an exact date (assuming you don't have the original factory box w/label) is to call S&W Customer Support. They are very good about that. (y)

My closest 3rd Gen to yours has a TDC prefix. I can check the date on that one for you as I have the original box for it... but your best bet is still to call S&W CS. :)

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not all three letter prefixes for 3rd gens are listed on page 492 of the Bible. Not even close. One has to interpolate and interpret as best one can for date estimating purposes using the prefixes that are listed and other knowledge about the gun in question. Your TDD prefixed Model 5904 with 1st trigger guard fits well into the prefix sequence exactly where it should... i.e., somewhere between 1989 and 1990. :unsure:

Now, that said, the three letter prefixes were not always used in exact order. They sometimes jumped around a little or a lot for various reasons. Your best bet for an exact date (assuming you don't have the original factory box w/label) is to call S&W Customer Support. They are very good about that. (y)

My closest 3rd Gen to yours has a TDC prefix. I can check the date on that one for you as I have the original box for it... but your best bet is still to call S&W CS. :)
Thanx for that. I don't know why S&W has to make things so confusing and convoluted (not to mention confounding).😖

1 - 5 of 5 Posts