Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W snub nose .38 special CTG,, 6 shot revolver, serial # C17397. What model number? thinking it's a 10, what frame,J,or K,and what year. Supposedly was carried as a secondary weapon of defense by a patrolman. Thank you in advance for any information on this.

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It's a 38 military and police revolver from 1948. Smith & Wesson didn't Implement model numbers until 1957. Is it a round butt or square butt? This is a round butt snub from 1949. It's a K frame.

Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! It's a 38 military and police revolver from 1948. Smith & Wesson didn't Implement model numbers until 1957. Is it a round butt or square butt? This is a round butt snub from 1949. It's a K frame.

Guy
Wow ! Thanks Wiregrass, its a square butt. I didn't realize it would be that old. It's really in great shape.

·
Super Moderator
14,066 Posts
Welcome to the forum. These were outstanding firearms, made during an age when S&W gun smiths paid great attention to detail. These were referred to at the time as a "K-38" and today as a "Pre-10". After 1957, S&W started using the model numbers and engineering change dash levels.

Reactions: Curt360 and jeepnut

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum. These were outstanding firearms, made during an age when S&W gun smiths paid great attention to detail. These were referred to at the time as a "K-38" and today as a "Pre-10". After 1957, S&W started using the model numbers and engineering change dash levels.
Thank you for your imput, and info, mrerick. I really appreciate it! This is great information.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Any pics of your revolver? We'd like to see it.:)

Reactions: jerndor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! Any pics of your revolver? We'd like to see it.:)
Thanks Curt360 !! I'm working on that, and, also my Model 28 .357 Highway Patrolman dated late 1954, to early 1955. I'm trying to get one of my Grandkids over here to show me how to do such things. I'm pretty much a novice on this, but trying to learn.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts