Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this revolver , it’s a 38 special! but not sure de model and the year of manufacturer, got this grip that not shure if they a originals, I will appreciate any information about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Listing the caliber would help. On the right side of the barrel ;)
As a guess,it looks like a pre WW2 K frame 38 target. The grips aren't original.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Listing the caliber would help. On the right side of the barrel ;)
As a guess,it looks like a pre WW2 K frame 38 target. The grips aren't original.
Uh!!! Sorry for that, is a 38 special. My mistake 🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm not qualified to provide any details about the gun, but I'm certain the stocks are not original to that gun. Give it a good cleaning and lube before you take it out to shoot. You may find that you like the stocks as they are. I do! :D Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
18,651 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W didn't start giving their firearms model numbers until 1957. In the collector community, your gun is a Model 1905, Change 4 Target also known as the .38 Military & Police Target, as Absalom says. The date he gives of 1929 is about as close as you can get without an historian's letter of authenticity. The grips on it are not original. Original grips would have been round top service grips with either a gold or chrome medallion. S&W was trying different medallions at the time and, again, you won't know how it shipped without a letter. However, the grips on it may be quite valuable if they are pre-WWII. Sanderson and Roper were making target-style grips in the 1930's. They look like Sanderson's to me but they could just be common Herrett or Siles. A look inside might give more information.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! S&W didn't start giving their firearms model numbers until 1957. In the collector community, your gun is a Model 1905, Change 4 Target also known as the .38 Military & Police Target, as Absalom says. The date he gives of 1929 is about as close as you can get without an historian's letter of authenticity. The grips on it are not original. Original grips would have been round top service grips with either a gold or chrome medallion. S&W was trying different medallions at the time and, again, you won't know how it shipped without a letter. However, the grips on it may be quite valuable if they are pre-WWII. Sanderson and Roper were making target-style grips in the 1930's. They look like Sanderson's to me but they could just be common Herrett or Siles. A look inside might give more information.
Oh! Thanks for al the info, as soon as I reach home I will take them off and upload more pictures of the.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This are grips photos

·
Registered
22,248 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the recent purchase of an older classic.

Reactions: jeepnut and Cuneko

·
Registered
248 Posts
If the grips were by Lew Sanderson they would have a 2 or 3 digit number stamped on the inside. Also, the checkering pattern is different than on Sandersons. Probably Herritt stocks.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
I do not have the target model but a couple standard 1905 change 4 and you will find it is amazingly accurate for the age. Congrats on adopting it.

Reactions: Curt360
1 - 13 of 13 Posts