Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I have been offered a chance to buy a nice older 38 special and don't know what model it is. There for I have no idea what to offer for it. It is a blue approx 4" tapered barrel with grooved rib and a blade front sight. There are no markings save the description on the right side of the barrel, 38 Smith & Wesson Special ctg. Anyone have a pic or idea of what it is?

·
Registered
10,919 Posts
Sounds like a K-38 Combat Masterpiece {Pre-15 if you like, or don't :mrgreen: }
5 screw?
Original grips?
Finish % ?
All the above have a bearing on the price

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe it is a 5 screw. The finish is 90 + % I would say. Minor holster wear at the muzzle. Otherwise the bluing is excellent on the rest of the gun. The grips are orriginal, and in excellent shape. No damage or wear of the finish. I really don't think it was shot alot. A holster Queen I would say. The single action is sweet! Slick and short. Breaks clean. The DA isn't heavy, and smooth as silk. The bore at the muzzle showes sharp rifling, and no green or copper residue. I am looking at it as a companion piece. Small and light and not expensive to plink with. Something to carry on walks and as a recreational shooter.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
OldGrizz, does the gun look anything like this?

·
Super Moderator
32,502 Posts
If it looks like this:

Then it is either a K-38 Combat Masterpiece as Azmick noted, or it is a model 15.

They are great shooters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has the same grips as the ones pictured, but no rib on the barrel or ramp on the front sight. There is only a groove in the top strap in place of a rear sight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I may have found it. This is a dead ringer for the one in question. Though I believe this one is a little longer in the barrel,maybe an inch.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
If you post the serial number wit X's for the last 3 didgits, that would be a help. Also, is there any stampings on the crane when you open the cylinder?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish I had taken the owner up on his offer to shoot it over the weekend. I don't have the serial # handy. I was looking it over after Karate last evening and never thought to look in the crane either. Too many things going on I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Assuming it is an M&P of like vintage and condition as the one I posted above, what would be a respecable price for it? Gun values on-line are just about non-existant. I swear I used to go to Blue Book and get relative values. Now I can't find such a site. Oh I found lots of places to buy the book, but no on-line access. I will call the guns owner later today to see if I can get the serial #. I hate to bug him on a holiday, but I would like to get a feel for what this thing is worth. He is the father of my youngest's best friend. I don't want to short him in any way if it has any real value to it. Otherwise we will consider it an old .38.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I seriously doubt that it is a collectors item with great value. There are millions of old M-10's around. The going price is $200-$250 for these revolvers. Bob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK,I looked the M&P in question over again this evening. It turns out it is a 10-5 heavy barrel. What I would like to know is, would it be safe or prudent to shoot +P ammo in a 10-5? It's very tight and in good over all condition.

·
Super Moderator
32,502 Posts
carl418 said:
OldGrizz,
The short answer to your question is yes. You can shoot +P in your Model 10.

If you're interested, we have an excellent 'long answer' too, written by one of our members. :D

Here you go..
http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=194
I read that one, Carl, excellent post and very kind of Saxon Pig to share with us. I know that I learned a lot from reading it. :D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Grizz,

This is not meant as criticism, but as a statement of fact: if you are at all serious about S&W revolvers, you need to start with the 3d Edition, Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson. It isn't expensive, but it is authoritative.

Believe me, that is one of the best ways to start to understand what you are talking about and looking at -- and the tables of known serial numbers for every model S&W are a gold mine.

Nothing beats knowledge about what you are looking at. That is how a fatally mis-marked and under-priced transition-era Heavy Duty found its way into my accumulation. A hole-in-the-wall dealer who specializes in semi autos thought it was a Model 10 (yeah, the guy, a dealer, didn't even know the difference between a K-frame and an N-frame, apparently.)

Again, this is not a criticism, but a strong suggestion.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts