Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey
I have an old s+w revovler my grandfather gave me. He is in bad health and not able to remember the info on it . It looks like a 4" barrell with 38 special CTG on the side of the barrel. The serial #13888.

Anyone help me pinpoint the year and model of this gun? Much appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
welcome to the forum.
can you post a pic of the revolver? is the serial number from the bottom of the buttframe? any letter prefix? (maybe several spaces away from the numerical portion)

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
It looks like a .38 Military and Police 1st Model. It should be a 'four screw' frame with no screw going into the frame from the front of the trigger guard. It is missing a 'knob' at the end of the ejector knob. The 2nd model has a locking catch added to the bottom of the barrel for the ejector to 'lock' on to and a 5th screw was added in the 1905 model. Serials for this model started at #1 in 1899 and ended at 20975 in 1902. Your grandfather's revolver was made during the time black powder was still being used in 38 S&W Special cartridges, do not, do not ever, not even once, use any +P ammo in it. Heat treatment of the cylinders did not start until the 1920s, modern ammo would be 'iffy' in the thing. If you must shoot it, have a gunsmith check it out first. It is close to 110 years old, still looks pretty good,(it's missing original stoks and ejector knob os misssing) but trade in value would be pretty low. Your model was the beginning of the Model 10 and turned out to be the 'bread and butter' of S&W revolvers, put it up on a shelf, it has earned it's retirement.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
It looks like a .38 Military and Police 1st Model. It should be a 'four screw' frame with no screw going into the frame from the front of the trigger guard. It is missing a 'knob' at the end of the ejector knob. The 2nd model has a locking catch added to the bottom of the barrel for the ejector to 'lock' on to and a 5th screw was added in the 1905 model. Serials for this model started at #1 in 1899 and ended at 20975 in 1902. Your grandfather's revolver was made during the time black powder was still being used in 38 S&W Special cartridges, do not, do not ever, not even once, use any +P ammo in it. Heat treatment of the cylinders did not start until the 1920s, modern ammo would be 'iffy' in the thing. If you must shoot it, have a gunsmith check it out first. It is close to 110 years old, still looks pretty good,(it's missing original stoks and ejector knob os misssing) but trade in value would be pretty low. Your model was the beginning of the Model 10 and turned out to be the 'bread and butter' of S&W revolvers, put it up on a shelf, it has earned it's retirement.
Excellent advise **** - Reminds me of one of our reserve officers, he told me he had an old Colt 357 magnum revolver. I figured he had a New Service and said I'd like to see it. What he showed me was a Colt 1892 or 94 revolver that had the cylinder bored straight through and would accept 357 cartridges - and yes it was loaded with 357's. I said, "you have never shot 357's in it have you?" More of a statement than a question, to which he replied in the negative. The last time I saw him he didn't have pieces of the Colt imbedded in his forehead, so I assume he took my advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts