Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
Caliber from the barrel and serial number off the butt would be helpful :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Late 1939 to early 1940 (my guess) Military & Police Model 1905 Change 4. Just prior to the WWII era which begins with the first South African order 685XXX May 1940. Likely retrofited during the war. The Brits were buying anything they could get prior to the "official" orders.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Can someone report it stolen now that I posted the SN of it. Kinda freaking out. I posted the whole thing then redacted it later. Should I be worried?
Yes mate it’s my gun, I’ll send you my FFL name and just send it to me. I wont involve the Feds... just kidding welcome mate..

Thewelshm

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Don't worry about posting the entire SN. It appears to have proof test stamps at least for the barrel on the upper left top strap (.38/380). I can't make out what is stamped on the upper rear. Could you take a clear picture of that area? As Waidmann says, it likely was sold to the British Commonwealth before we implemented Lend Lease in 1941. I believe some .38 Special, 6" barrel guns were shipped to South Africa, but my recollection is not clear on that. Most of the guns we sold or loaned to the UK were .38 S&W with 5" barrels. I also believe the grips on it are original to the gun. Take them off and see if the serial number is stamped on the back of the right panel. While they are off, look for the importer's stamp on the grip frame. It could also be under the barrel or inside the cylinder window.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Don't worry about posting the entire SN. It appears to have proof test stamps at least for the barrel on the upper left top strap (.38/380). I can't make out what is stamped on the upper rear. Could you take a clear picture of that area? As Waidmann says, it likely was sold to the British Commonwealth before we implemented Lend Lease in 1941. I believe some .38 Special, 6" barrel guns were shipped to South Africa, but my recollection is not clear on that. Most of the guns we sold or loaned to the UK were .38 S&W with 5" barrels. I also believe the grips on it are original to the gun. Take them off and see if the serial number is stamped on the back of the right panel. While they are off, look for the importer's stamp on the grip frame. It could also be under the barrel or inside the cylinder window.
Pulled off the grips and it matches the bottom and the cylinder

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It is very easy to ream a .38 Special to accept .38 S&W/.38-200/.380 Rimmed as the British alternately referred and marked them. A gun marked 38/380 or simply /380 would be so altered. You can still fire .38 Specials but the cases will swell an extra .003 or so and may tend to stick. In the emergency year of 1940 (Battles of France and Britain) anything could have happened.

Enfield view, inspection and acceptance marks shown. Any other odd tattoos?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is very easy to ream a .38 Special to accept .38 S&W/.38-200/.380 Rimmed as the British alternately referred and marked them. A gun marked 38/380 or simply /380 would be so altered. You can still fire .38 Specials but the cases will swell an extra .003 or so and may tend to stick. In the emergency year of 1940 (Battles of France and Britain) anything could have happened.
That’s good to know thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts