Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got these 2 revolvers, both are .32 caliber one is auto ejecting other is self, i no that all serial numbers match even inside the stocks written in pencil. any info u need just ask, any info you got i would like to hear :)

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Some of us sleep.

You'll have to give us the serial numbers on each. You can X out the last digit or two if that makes you feel more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
The top revolver is a .32 Double Action. These guns had 5 "Models" which the serial number will narrow down.

The bottom is known as a .32 Hand Ejector. Also waiting for serial.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha i no i was just bored lol :) wasnt being rude or snappy just got bored looking at everyones post :) nice site. any way

first gun. 1737xx
second with the walnut grip 3516xx

is it common for all serial numbers to match? any would u no the value by chance ? any info is greatly appreciated :)

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
The top break model on top is a 32 Double Action - 4th Change. Dates between 1883 and 1909 with a serial range of 43406 to 283299.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
The serial number on the bottom revolver narrows it down to a 32 Hand Ejector - 3rd Model. 1911 to 1942 with a serial range of 263001 to 536684.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
A rough estimate would be about $200 each. The top because it is not a high priority for collectors, though it is in good shape.

The bottom does have more collector Internet but the rust and pitting reduces that desirability. Is it functional? Does the cylinder lock up when you cock the hammer?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah they work great, the rush on the nickel is the only thing, but other than that they both are in good shape.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Bottom ones smells like a Regulation Police. Is the serial number on the forestrap of the grip frame (triggerguard side) and does the backstrap dissappear into the grips, a patent date on the bottom of the grip?

1920's grip style.

W.

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
Bottom ones smells like a Regulation Police. Is the serial number on the forestrap of the grip frame (triggerguard side) and does the backstrap dissappear into the grips, a patent date on the bottom of the grip?

1920's grip style.

W.
I think you are right. The Hand Ejector Third model is a round butt. The Regulation police is a round butt frame with a round butt grip. Good call. Date should be the same, though.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I'm not so sure about the top one Forester. The frame profile looks more like an H&R than a S&W and I'm seeing what looks to be the H&R target logo on the grips. Hard to tell from the pics. Also no S&W top break has that little lever behind the trigger. I believe it engages a hammer transfer bar. A picture of the open action and close up of the grips and barrel top flat would be helpful. Price of these old H&Rs runs between $50-100.
John

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Eddie! Nice old guns with a lot of character. Your .32 Hand Ejector is what is known as a Regulation Police. The grip frame is rebated or stepped so the grips make it a square butt. Take care of the grips because they are hard to find. From the look of your grips, the RP was shipped in the 1920s. Here are a couple shots of my .32 DA and .32 RP. OOPS, missed all the other posts. Yes, it appears your top break is an H&R. Good eye, Timetripper!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info guys!and yes the serial number is right behind the trigger guard, the top gun is an h&r it says it on the top. on the bottom of the hand eject grips it says pat. june, 5 1917, is the police model worth more? do you guys need anymore pictures?

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
I'd like to see more of the RP to give you a better answer on value. Based on what I see, your gun may bring $300-400 which is over 3 to 4 times what the H&R is worth. Take the grips off and see if you see your SN stamped on back of the right panel (may be penciled).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
all of it is matching, under the grip it is written in pencil, all of it is original, is there a good way to clean the gun or should i leave it? and sense all the serial numbers match, how much would it be worth after Restoration ?

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Sure, any gun CLP (cleaner, lubrication and protection) will clean it up just fine. Make sure the grips are off. I recommend getting some spray break cleaner and cleaning out the action, around the cylinder, the charge holes and barrel really well. Or, you can use Winchester Gun Wash. Spray it down the hammer and up through the trigger opening to clean out the action. That may be all the cleaning you need to do unless there is powder residue, lead or copper on the forcing cone and in the barrel. If you have that, you might want to get a Hoppe's Lead Removal cloth or a boresnake. Once it is clean, you can lube it with any good light machine oil (3n1) or gun oil.

Like I said, $300-400 as it sits. If you have it refinished, about $200. Collectors don't like refinished guns. Some would say a refinished gun is worthless.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts