Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I think this is a .32, it's a top-break as you can see and the serial number is 155563. I'd like to know what model this is, what caliber and a possible worth if possible.

Had some discussions with a friend, he says it's a 3rd model, I say it's a 2nd. We both are probably wrong LOL

I picked this up last week from a guy here locally. He says this was his great-grandfather's and that his Gpa was a constable in Detroit, MI.

Any info appreciated

Please see the pics:

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Confusing. The shape of the trigger guard says 3rd model but the serial number says 4th model. Is there an extra digit in that serial number? Regardless, the grips are not original.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, same number on bottom of butt and also stamped on to face of cyliner 155 563

I'm confused as well, because I've seem some 2nd models (or atleast they were called 2nd) on this site with the same trigger guard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there an approximate year of production? I've only got $150 in it, it was worth that to me for an interesting conversation piece if nothing else. Not too many of these guns around here . . .

·
Registered
489 Posts
Interesting problem in identification, what with trigger guard configuration failing to agree with serial number.

Serial numbers for the fourth model ran from about 43,000 to 283,000. The Fourth model was produced from 1883 to 1909. Interpolating from beginning and ending numbers for the model, I'd estimate a date in the late 1890s, possibly 1900.

I'm pretty clueless on value for the older guns, but $100 seems light to me if it is in shooting order. I would guess $175-200.

David Wilson

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It needs some mechanical work, cylinder just spins and it can't be cocked. Contemplating taking it to a gunsmith and having it fixed, but have no idea how much that would cost.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Those grips are very rare and somewhat valuable.
Most have disintegrated.
Don
hpzl;n;

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DHENRY said:
Those grips are very rare and somewhat valuable.
Most have disintegrated.
Don
hpzl;n;
Can you tell me more about them? What are they made of? Just how valuable? LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts