Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. You really helped me last week when I posted my first S&W pistol. A good friend of mine passed away and his widow was selling his guns. To my surprise, she showed me this 1917 S&W DA 45 with the US Army markings. The gun is used but I’d say above average condition for a 100 year old pistol. I want to offer a fair price. Can you help? Also, there is a box of ammo that she thinks is right for the gun. Is this correct. If I can do right by her, I’d guess I now have started a collection. Thx and Best.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. It appears to be original finish it has some wear but I’d save 90%.

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
The finish looks shiny like a commercial blued S&W finish. Those for the military were more of a matte finish but I dont know that they all were. Also after WW1, I belueve S&W used remaining frames & parts to produce commercially sold models. I have seen really nice ones with the matte finish in the $1000 and up price range

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The finish looks shiny like a commercial blued S&W finish. Those for the military were more of a matte finish but I dont know that they all were. Also after WW1, I belueve S&W used remaining frames & parts to produce commercially sold models. I have seen really nice ones with the matte finish in the $1000 and up price range
Funny, I saw another with a Matte finish. I thought it was refinished. This one is marked US Army. Can others shed any more light? I’m more interested in the history.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Looks righteous to me. Yes the ammo is correct.
I am also of the opinion that $700-$800 would be a fair market price for the gun.
Anything more than $800 is being generous to the widow, and obviously that is a good thing to do.
Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. James 1:27

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
Originally the Model 1917 would have had a rich blueing. If it has more of a matte or graphite finish look for an A A marking indicating it went through Augusta Arsenal for WWII service. We need some better pictures but a top notch 1917 might pull $1500. $800-$1000 is not uncommon. I hardly think $650-$800 is an insult since a commission or other fees would be deducted. Almost any N frame tops $500 these days if complete and functioning. Half Moon clips are relatively inexpensive, you'll want some, or a long nail to push out the empty cases.

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
The Model 1917 has been sorta the red-headed stepchild of the pre-war S&W product line. I guess its history of being military surplus held prices down and relegated many to the project gun category. The Brazilian model has an even worse history than the Army model. However, in the last few years, prices have been rising on these guns and particularly on those in top condition or those modified with desirable aftermarket accoutrements such as King sights. Commercial models often bring substantially higher prices than the Army model. Commercial models have a bright polished finish while the Army model is low polish. A review of completed auctions on gunbroker shows a pretty wide range of selling prices based mostly on condition of the gun. I don't think your gun has been refinished but it is difficult to say for sure because your pictures are not optimum to gauge the telltale areas. If your rebound slide stud (the small bump to the left of the left grip panel) is proud (raised), then it is likely original finish. That is often polished flat with a refinish. You can also tell from the appearance of the stampings but none of your pictures give a decent look at them. So, my best SWAG is you have an original 1917 Army with moderate finish conditions that should sell in the $750-900 range at auction.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Back in the late 1950s my friend and mentor answered an ad and took $200 into Boston MA and gave it to the person in charge of the Boston Post Office and was taken to a back room where there was a huge number of S&W and Colt 1917 ,45 ACP revolvers and was told to pick out the 10 revolvers that he wanted. He chose 5 S&Ws and 5 Colts. They probably recorded the serial numbers and put them in a big paper bag that he took out of the Post Office and brought home. When I got home from my U S Army tour in 1962 the going price for a 1917 revolver was $30 - $40 each the same as used military 1911a1s in every gun store I went in. Most had a good selection to choose from and you could if you wanted, you could buy by mail order. Within a couple years I bought a 1917 S&W for $ 35. I cannot get over the prices that these guns go for now.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I don't think your gun has been refinished but it is difficult to say for sure because your pictures are not optimum to gauge the telltale areas. If your rebound slide stud (the small bump to the left of the left grip panel) is proud (raised), then it is likely original finish.
That is very interesting .. do you have any pix of where this bump is supposed to be. Is it on the left side of the gun or the right? What are the other telltale areas you make reference to? Good juicy info .. Look forward to learning more!

·
Premium Member
18,599 Posts
That is very interesting .. do you have any pix of where this bump is supposed to be. Is it on the left side of the gun or the right? What are the other telltale areas you make reference to? Good juicy info .. Look forward to learning more!
I thought I was pretty clear that the rebound slide stud is on the left side of the frame, just to the left of the top of the grip panel. You can see it in the OP's first post which shows the left side of his 1917. Other things to look for include softening or removal of the text in the stampings and rounding of the edges of cylinder flutes and other sharp edges. Plated or blued hammer and trigger are a dead give away of a refinish.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I thought I was pretty clear that the rebound slide stud is on the left side of the frame, just to the left of the top of the grip panel. You can see it in the OP's first post which shows the left side of his 1917. Other things to look for include softening or removal of the text in the stampings and rounding of the edges of cylinder flutes and other sharp edges. Plated or blued hammer and trigger are a dead give away of a refinish.
Aaaa I see it now .. I couldnt make it out before and I am looking on a 42 inch monitor. Thank you for the information .. now when I am considering used guns I have a bit more ammo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Model 1917 has been sorta the red-headed stepchild of the pre-war S&W product line. I guess its history of being military surplus held prices down and relegated many to the project gun category. The Brazilian model has an even worse history than the Army model. However, in the last few years, prices have been rising on these guns and particularly on those in top condition or those modified with desirable aftermarket accoutrements such as King sights. Commercial models often bring substantially higher prices than the Army model. Commercial models have a bright polished finish while the Army model is low polish. A review of completed auctions on gunbroker shows a pretty wide range of selling prices based mostly on condition of the gun. I don't think your gun has been refinished but it is difficult to say for sure because your pictures are not optimum to gauge the telltale areas. If your rebound slide stud (the small bump to the left of the left grip panel) is proud (raised), then it is likely original finish. That is often polished flat with a refinish. You can also tell from the appearance of the stampings but none of your pictures give a decent look at them. So, my best SWAG is you have an original 1917 Army with moderate finish conditions that should sell in the $750-900 range at auction.
The bump is proud. Thank all for the information.!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One more question. Can someone tell me where I might get some half moon clips for a reasonable price? Thx

1 - 20 of 28 Posts