Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,066 Posts
The top gun is an early post-war K22 Masterpiece. It has the new "speed hammer" also called the fishhook hammer by some collectors. The term refers to the shape of the hammer tang which I think looks more like a tomcat's tail than a fishhook. The bottom gun is a pre-war K22 Outdoorsman's revolver, AKA the 1st Model K22. It was made from 1931 to 1940. In 1940, S&W introduced the K22 Masterpiece with a short throw action and microclick adjustable rear sight but no top rib on the barrel. This model is referred to as the K22/40 by collectors. It was only made for a short time and is highly collectible.

Here is my K22 Outdoorsman.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
The top gun is an early post-war K22 Masterpiece. It has the new "speed hammer" also called the fishhook hammer by some collectors. The term refers to the shape of the hammer tang which I think looks more like a tomcat's tail than a fishhook. The bottom gun is a pre-war K22 Outdoorsman's revolver, AKA the 1st Model K22. It was made from 1931 to 1940. In 1940, S&W introduced the K22 Masterpiece with a short throw action and microclick adjustable rear sight but no top rib on the barrel. This model is referred to as the K22/40 by collectors. It was only made for a short time and is highly collectible.

Here is my K22 Outdoorsman.
Please tell us more about that gun.? Is that what is called a Pinto?? Chrome, nickle stainless??

·
Premium Member
22,066 Posts
There is already a thread on this gun going back a year or so. I got it from a collector in TX. The barrel looked like it was stuck in a corrosive bath...heavily pitted. It couldn't be restored...I tried using Mark Novak's Conservation technique unsuccessfully. So, I had it polished out and refinished by Bob Cogan at apwcogan.com. I was going to have it engraved but couldn't find an engraver who could work on it without over a year wait. So, I had it pintoed. She's also wearing a pre-war S&W grip adapter. Ain't she purty? :giggle:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ok, I've colleccted S&W's for some years now and I've never heard the term "one liner" in regards to S&W. What is that? Thanks and sorry for the ignorance on the matter.

Leland

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I've colleccted S&W's for some years now and I've never heard the term "one liner" in regards to S&W. What is that? Thanks and sorry for the ignorance on the matter.
SG covered it while I was typing one line of verbiage instead of the usual four. I'm sure there are more accurate and better ways of describing it.

·
Premium Member
12,819 Posts
The K-22 one liner went up to about s/n K30,xxx. The 4 line stamping began in 1948.

• Love
Reactions: oldgrowth

·
Premium Member
12,819 Posts
Hmmm, I've seen this type of stamping on some revolvers. I have a 1948 dated K22 in it's original gold box. Serial #K644xx.

Leland
s/n K642xx shipped Jan 1948.
(12,800)

Reactions: FUUN063
1 - 14 of 14 Posts