Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1108.jpg

So i bought this gun back in the 90's for about $250. Ive done my research about the brazilian contracts so i know a little. But i know nothing about this particular guns finish and the grips? Is this thing original? Ehat about the finish. Its very smooth and glossy. I welcome all comments. Thanks guys. New member here

·
Premium Member
13,111 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum:

That's a good looking Brazilian Contract........................and likely a good shooter.

Seems that you already know that the finish and the grips aren't correct.

Best Regards,

Geezer

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

No clue.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee. The good news is that it has likely over doubled in value. Most are in roughish condition anyway. Restoration to include finding good Depression era silver medallion grips is likely over expensive. So enjoy it!

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,029 Posts
welcome.. as you have probably noted from your research - these guns generally had a hard life. Not uncommon to see them refinished, modified, etc..

here is a nice original for your reference.. it is finished in the brite-blue style smith was using in the late 1930's and has the original 1930's silver medallion round top grips. there were several shipments of these to Brazil, iirc some used the plain roundtop grips..

brazil_02.jpg

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Yes clearly a refinish, especially with the bronzy colored cylinder. There were two contracts, but can only tell you which you have with a serial #.

BRAZILIAN CONTRACT 1917s

In 1937 S&W made some 25,000 1917s for Brazil, most in serial range 181983-207043 with exceptions as usual, using the post WW I produced flat top frame and sq notch sight, and these are marked with a “MADE IN U.S.A.” on right frame side with the S&W trademark on left side of frame. They also have a Brazilian Crest on the side plate dated 1937. These first contract Brazilian 1917s had commercial checkered grips with flat chrome plated medallions.

The 2nd Brazilian contract run in 1946 of about 11,800, most using surplus WW I produced frames in the 166,000 — 175,150 range with exceptions as usual, with older style round top strap and small u notch rear sight. Some were the newer flat top frames generally in the 207,196 — 209,878 range, with a few round tops also reported in that range. These '46 contract guns had WW I surplus smooth grips.

“I believe the flat top-strap revision came to the N-frame in the 1926/1927 time frame. As I recall, the earliest Model of 1926 .44 HEs had round tops, but in short order the Model of 1926 production was using the flat-top frames with square-notch sight channels.” David Wilson 1917 military over-run or Civlian ?

In my experience every 1917 had the cylinder hold open detent in the yoke bell crank as did all pre war N frames and some early I and K frames. It's been reported that some 1917s do not have the detent as a war time expedient, but of the hundreds of 1917s I've seen all did or at least had the hole with wear evidence that the detent spring and pin were lost.
Use caution if you remove the yoke and cylinder from the frame or the spring and plunger can launch across the room.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for the help guys! Just trying to get a little history on this thing for my old man. Ill try and get a serial number as well!

·
Registered
10,988 Posts
except for the razor blade they used for the front sight, they are a good buy and a good shooter

·
Premium Member
19,813 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Nice old shooter. Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
First, welcome aboard. Who knows what has been done to these guns? With mine, all I cared about was does it shoot? And it does shoot.
Steve

1 - 13 of 13 Posts