Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited my dads 38 spc ctg 6.5 in barrel, I need to find the model for it so that I can replace the grip. My dad made his own grip and that fit him well. I have a smaller hand and doesn't fit me. Looked online and found Altamont but I don't know if I need a k/l or not. All the model numbers they show I don't see anywhere on the gun. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! We're going to need some more info, Steve. S&W made .38 Special guns in J, K/L and N frame units. First, open the cylinder and see if there is a model number stamped in the yoke cut in front of the cylinder. It will look like MOD 10-1. If not there, post some pictures so we can see what you have.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
If you can't take pictures, give us the serial number from the bottom of the metal butt frame. A letter in front of the numbers is part of the serial number...like S44xxx or C150xxx. Sometimes the letter is widely separated from the numbers and, if it has a lanyard ring, they can be on opposite sides.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Steve, it appears to be a .38-44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950. Your gun dates to 1954. Back off the close-ups and let us see the whole gun and grips. You will also find the serial number on the rear face of the cylinder, on the back of the ejector star and on the back of the yoke arm (look through the cylinder chamber to see it). If all are there and the same, the gun is in original configuration. If you have the original grips, the serial will be stamped on the back of the right panel...just the numbers. It is an N frame and would have come with magna grips like these:

BTW, this is my .38-44 HD from around the same time as yours. You can read more about them here:
38-44heavyduty.com/

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My dad always said it was 38/44 don't have original grips my dad was a wood worker and made his own. The size was to big for me so to get them off I had to damage them and they are gone now never did see the original grip. Altamont has some nice grips and will order a nice set now that I know it's an N. I am curious as to 38/44 I'll look at that link you sent. Thanks a bunch. I also have a colt cap n ball I will post sometime also 2 50 cal cap n ball rifles

Attachments

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
You'll get the most out of it with lead bulleted +p ammunition. enjoy!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dad used to do his own loads, equipment gone now. My sis was a long time trap shooter they loaded their own have a bunch of 16 ga reloading supplies. The way the country is going might load a couple thousand rds.
Thanks for the ammo info

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
WHOA! That's not a .38-44 HD. That's a pre-model 23 Outdoorsman. A rare gun from 1954 that is worth probably at least 4 and maybe 5 figures! The SCSW says "too rare to estimate value." Other than the SCSW, that is the first one I have ever seen in 8 years of collecting. You HAVE to get period correct magnas for that gun. It deserves to be made correct even if the grips are not original. Please tell me you are not going to put aftermarket grips on that baby.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Beautiful holster! Worth a pretty penny as well. You can get period correct magna grips on eBay, here in our classified Wanted forum and on the Blue Forum in their Classified Wanted section. You really should get some period-correct Sharp Shouldered Magnas for that gun. If you also want to get some aftermarket grips to shoot it with, that works but please, please put correct grips on it. It is too valuable to not do so. These are the type of grips you need:

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will do this pistol was my dads pride and joy as it is mine. The holster as well because it made by my uncle. They will be buried with me or donated to a museum if they'll have it. I will put the period correct grips on I'm a firm believer to do original as much as possible.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts