Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in walmart yesterday eyeballing the ammo they finaly got in and a guy asks me about ammo.He tells me he has a 44 magnum and a 38 and a couple rifles.I ask him what kind of magnum and rifles does he have.He tells me he isnt sure. I say ok and he says I have a clint eastwood gun and the other is a 38 smith and wesson.
He tells me his father in law left them when he died. Im thinking woa maybe a pre 29 hiding in a drawer and a hd or something.He tells me he was in the marine corp and knows about the weapons he had there but knows nothing about the guns his father in law left him.
He asks me if I would show him how to use them etc.Its kind of odd because most ex marines I know own guns and use them regularly. I believe he was in the marines though he talked about the m-14 and 1911 45 etc.
Any way I told him my e-mail and told him to send me the makes and models of the guns and serial numbers. I got a e-mail last night and the clint eastwood gun turned out to be a old model super black hawk I looked up the serial number and it was made in 1966. He has a ruger 77 in 458 winchester made in 1975 and a winchester 100 made in 1966. Then I see the 38 is a smith and wesson and he sends me a serial number. I e-mail him back and ask him to open the cylinder and tell me the model number. There isnt one so it was made before 1957. I ask him for a picture and he cannot send one.He has me all curious now and I will probably go over to his house and look at it today if I can get his address.
But in the mean time I was wondering if some one could look up the serial number for me.He says it says 38 on it but not special so I dont know if its a 38 s&w or what or any clue what model it is. But here is the serial number if some one would be kind enough to look it up for me. I dont have a book I know I should and will get one soon.
801x8

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Hi onenut,
There are a lot of things that the gun could be. The first thing that I can think of is a pre 32 or 33 made in the post war period. Ie a 2, 3, or 4" 38 S&W 5 shot.
Of course it could be a victory, if he left off the V. Whenever I see 5 digit S&W numbers I always question. Is that really the serial? I would be a very rich man if I had a dollar or even a dime for everytime that the assembly number was recorded as the Serial. I would suggest thinking about a series of questions that could nail it down. How many shots? What is the barrel marked? What is the barrel length from the front of the cylinder to the muzzel? Does the face of the cylinder, underside of barrel and butt Serial number match? etc. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I asked him barrel length and if it was a five shot to see if it was a j frame.It may even be newer than 1945 and I am in the wrong forum for it.He may not have even sent me the serial number. The barrel markings he said were 38 b-13. I guess I need to get his address and go look at it and take a picture.From what little I got off him its a six shot.I just thought I would see if any one could look up the serial number it would say and ease my curiosity. If its some thing nice I may try to get it from him.He hasnt replied to my e-mail yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts