Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of NT-38, non diamond grips. Dark Metal grip circles...walnut. THey are also marked Left 5826 and right 5828. I thought there were unique numbers, but now not so sure. I am trying to firgure out that they are CORRECT for. I don't know what gun they came off of. Are they only for the outdoorsman? or were they put on all the N Frames? I'm guessing to they are about 1968-73? But also not sure and would love some help to get them onto the right gun

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
351 Posts
I’m certainly no expert, but they look to me to be like the ones I recently saw in the gun store that I frequent. Those were Smith & Wesson “target” grips for a K-Frame/L-Frame/N-Frame/X-Frame gun with the square-butt grip frame. They leave the back strap of the grip frame completely exposed. I think the X-Frame guns (460 and 500) have the round-butt grip frame, and there are “target” grips made for them, as well, but the round-butt “target” grips have a small section of wood on the lower portion back strap that intersects with the curved back strap. There are also grips that are closed on both the front and the back of the gun’s grip frame. In such a case, the shape of the gun’s grip frame really isn’t too important, as you can easily fill in the void of a square-butt grip with a wood filler, J-B Weld, or other type of product, to accommodate the round-butt grip frame. Regards . . . Thx.

·
Premium Member
12,722 Posts
From the grain pattern, it looks like they may not be a matched pair. Look toward the base of the grips, and you'll see that the grain of each is different. Do they line up if you hold them together?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1044261927_th.jpg 1044261931_th.jpg

I have seen on other posts those numbers before, so I am guessing that is like a part number, rather than individual. The grain seems close, but I have been told that S&W grips are not always a match either. They do fit N frame fine. I appreciate all the help so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I aqm pretty good with holsters and gun leather, not so much with grips. Any help anyone might need with holsering, I'm happy to try. Thanks all for the replies.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Layne...that explains why those numbers appear frequently. Anyone have an idea about when they were made? Is my estimate of 68-73 about right? I based that in the Extractor Relief cut and the dark grip circles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts