Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 4", double action S&W, blued, revolver. I believe it is a model 10?? Serial number is on the bottom of the grip. It is 846xxx (no letters or dashes). It has a half moon front sight and a channel rear sight. When you swing out the cylinder, it has the number 1000 stamped inside. Same thing on the frame, under the wood grips. It is stamped just that: 1000 (no dashes or spaces).

Is a truly a model 10? If so, what variation and what year was it made? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
If,,, it is a 6 shot, if,,, it is chambered in 38 Special, it is a S&W M&P Model of 1905 4th change made in the very late 30s/very early 40s. That was what the Model 10 was called before S&W started using model numbers.

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! It could be a British Service Revolver with a changed/modified barrel. What caliber is stamped on the barrel? What type grip...square or round...does it have? But, either way, Mick is correct. It is a .38 M&P. You can tell from the questions that we need to see pictures of it to ID it accurately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! It could be a British Service Revolver with a changed/modified barrel. What caliber is stamped on the barrel? What type grip...square or round...does it have? But, either way, Mick is correct. It is a .38 M&P. You can tell from the questions that we need to see pictures of it to ID it accurately.
Thank you both so much. I will try and get pics on tonight or tomorrow. It is a square butt, 6 shot. On the right side of the barrel it is stamped: 38 s&w special ctg. , and on the right side of
the frame it is stamped: made in USA. On the left side of the barrel it is stamped: Smith & Wesson and on the left side of the frame the S&W insignia is stamped in.

There are no other markings of any kind on the gun anywhere (American or British), except for the "1000" stamped on the frame in two places (behind the cylinder and under the grips. Also of
course there is the serial number. What do you think the "1000" means or stands for? Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
18,758 Posts
Those numbers are called "assembly numbers" because they were used during assembly of the revolver to bring the matching parts together after finishing.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I concur with all the above. During summer of 1940 is my best guess short of a letter. Since you don't mention a butt swivel I assume none or a hole for same. Likely one of the last totally pre-war spec guns (but within the WWII range). No idea on the 1000,

Pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. No butt swivel and no hole for one. I'm working on pics, hopefully tomorrow. So the correct name is M&P 1905?? Mike

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Thank you. No butt swivel and no hole for one. I'm working on pics, hopefully tomorrow. So the correct name is M&P 1905?? Mike
.38 Military and Police Model of 1905 4th Change

1 - 11 of 11 Posts