Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 32 DA 4TH model top break. I mistakenly let a friend look at it and now it fails to double action. It will single action ok. I can pull back the hammer and fire it. But it will not rotate the barrel. When u pull the trigger by itself it doesnt fire or move barrel and sometimes the trigger will get stuck. I can take pictures of it with side plate by hammer removed. To show gut of gun. Also i can use a small screw driver in a particular point just behind the arm that spins the barrel and it will Double action just fine. I cant figure out what broke or what if anything is missing. Please help gun been in family since 1888. Was my grandmothers purse gun. Would love to have it in working conditions again.

· Premium Member
23,223 Posts
I'm no expert on these things, but it sounds like you broke the trigger return spring. if I recall correctly, it's a v-shaped spring. Forum member Hondo44 may be able to help you. you also might have to purchase the old repair manuals printed by David Chicoine.

Reactions: Cliff

· Registered
1,892 Posts
What Guy said. Buy the whole book, I just got the chapter on S&Ws. Bad move on my part, now I've got to go back for
info on IJs and H&Rs. My advise is to take pictures, I can remember how it goes don't work. Use a small hammer.
Jack First for parts, the girls there are good. Good luck. Cliff

· Registered
23,304 Posts
The hand spring may be broken (the hand is the lever that turns the cylinder, the spring pushes it forward so it will index w/ the cylinder notches). If so it will usually work when tilted forward so the hand will fall forward by gravity. Finding a replacement spring is almost impossible unless you can get one made (Jack First or Gun Parts Corp. are a good place to start).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.