Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
Then it has to be a 1969 J frame Chief's special. Open the cylinder and look inside the Yoke cut and see what the model number is.

Guy

Reactions: Kyle123

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Then it has to be a 1969 J frame Chief's special. Open the cylinder and look inside the Yoke cut and see what the model number is.

Guy
Wow good call on the model number. Completely missed that. '69 Chief's Special sounds awesome. Anything special with the Chiefs? The yoke says "MOD 36-1", then under that "23532" "M" "Z".

Attachments

·
Registered
30,109 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Your wife got a nice revolver from her grandfather. Congrats and enjoy!

Reactions: Kyle123

·
Premium Member
20,736 Posts
It's definitely a chief special. The date can only be nailed down by an historians letter. However, our reference, the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, fourth edition, says 1969. S&W was known not to ship in serial number order. So it could have been later.

Guy

Reactions: Curt360

·
Super Moderator
35,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yes, Chief's Special is my guess and better a nice one from her Grandfather!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm brand new here, and I felt a little shy about creating an entirely new post just for my question when it seems that a lot of other people have a similar question: When was my handgun born?

I just came across this (I hope I managed to load the pictures correctly) SW 586 no dash, SN appears
ABE0308. Being old myself, I always like to know how old my things are. If someone can help, thank you for your help, if not, thank you for your time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts