Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a beater .38/44 heavy duty at a pawn shop a few weeks ago. I decided to go through it today. The bottom sideplate screw behind the trigger will not move. All others came out with no issues. I've broken two screwdriver tips trying to remove it. I need an old world gunsmith remedy. If it was an old C10 truck I'd just drill it out. This is a little small for that.
I'm open for ideas.

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
Soak the pistol in ATF for a couple of days. ATF is thin enough it should soak into the threads without too long of a wait.

Reactions: combat and Injunbro

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I've broken two screwdriver tips trying to remove it.
If you bugger the slot badly enough, you WILL have to drill it out; it's not too small to make the job impossible, but it would be a difficult operation, to say the least. And even after soaking (days, not hours), strike your screwdriver bit fairly hard with a light hammer before even trying to turn it, to help break the corrosion or petrified oil that's binding it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Try heat. I've loosened a few stubborn little gun screws with a spell under a hair dryer or careful, brief, application of a propane torch. Reapplying a good penetrating oil helps if at first you don't succeed with the heat. This will help too for a screw that had Loctite applied previously.

John

Reactions: combat
1 - 6 of 6 Posts