Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've acquired an 32 Long CTG and was wondering if anyone could help me determine the year of manufacture. The only serial number I could find was on the inside of the grip and looks to be 459191. See images below. It also has some patent dates which I've included in case it helps. Any help is appreciated.

S&W 32Long CTG top of barrel.jpg

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
.32 Regulation Police from the early 1920's. They're fun shooters.

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
I have one from the same era; the I frame feels like a toy and no recoil; fun to reload for with Bullseye or Universal

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
dupe

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I have one from the same era; the J frame feels like a toy and no recoil; fun to reload for with Bullseye or Universal
That'd be an I frame- J frames were after the war.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
That'd be an I frame- J frames were after the war.
Correct, I edited my post after; stupid ten thumbs can't type worth a damn.

·
Registered
17,001 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. You are gonna love shooting that one.

Reactions: StevenHunter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. You are gonna love shooting that one.
Can't wait to bring to the range. I have a box of ammo that came with it but it looks older than dirt.. not sure I should use them or not. I should post a pic of the box.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Can't wait to bring to the range. I have a box of ammo that came with it but it looks older than dirt.. not sure I should use them or not. I should post a pic of the box.
That box may well be worth a good bit if it's as old as the gun, so find out before you shoot it up.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I have bought some 32 Long at the local Cabelas for target practicing with my 32HE.
That's the only retailer I've seen carrying it. If you have one nearby you could check to see if they have any - though at our local store the shelves have been looking pretty bare lately.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sportsman's Warehouse usually has some Aguila* .32 S&W Long 98gr lead roundnose in stock - and I can find it in different brands* in several different local stores. Impact Guns usually has it in Magtech 98gr semi-jacketed hollowpoint**.

Both of those stores sell on-line.

* Made in Mexico - works great in my model 30-1, my Ruger Single Six (.32 H&R Mag, but fires the S&W Long as well), my S&W model 627 (.327 Fed Mag, but fires both the other .32 rounds), and my Henry Carbine (.327 Fed, can use all 3 ammos).

** Made in Brazil. Works fine in all of the above weapons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I've ordered others from Sportsman's before, I'm going to check a couple of locals first and see if I can find some.

Sportsman's Warehouse usually has some Aguila* .32 S&W Long 98gr lead roundnose in stock - and I can find it in different brands* in several different local stores. Impact Guns usually has it in Magtech 98gr semi-jacketed hollowpoint**.

Both of those stores sell on-line.

* Made in Mexico - works great in my model 30-1, my Ruger Single Six (.32 H&R Mag, but fires the S&W Long as well), my S&W model 627 (.327 Fed Mag, but fires both the other .32 rounds), and my Henry Carbine (.327 Fed, can use all 3 ammos).

** Made in Brazil. Works fine in all of the above weapons.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If you'd like to find out what kind of accuracy this gun is really capable of, Champion's Choice carries Lapua match-grade wad-cutters in this caliber, $40/50 in my last catalog, but maybe higher by now. Their catalog, by the way, is the most fascinating collection of target shooter's accessories I've ever seen. Carry many other brands of ammo as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As BC38 reminded me... Cabela's usually has .32 S&W Long in 98gr LRN from PPU (Prvi Partizan Užice, made in Serbia).

Funny how the rest of the world still seems to be supporting this old round.

The only US-made ammo I seem to find is old Remington stuff, not new.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts