Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a S&W revolver from a guy a few days ago and he was deaf and couldn't really give me any info on the gun. But its a small frame, 5 shot revolver, chambered in .38 S&W. Numbers are matching with a serial starting with 368**, above the serial is stamped/punched the number 2 and below the serial is also stamped/punched the number 2. I am trying to find out what its called (name, model), and when it was possibly made so I can do some reading up on it. I appreciate any help.
Trigger Revolver Auto part Automotive engine part
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Super Moderator
19,910 Posts
Man oh man, That one has been ridden hard and put up wet, more than once.
I'm not into refinishing these old classic revolvers, but that's a candidate for $200-250 worth of gunsmithing to keep it running.
Without some serious care, it's going to see the end of life within a decade or so. It really needs to be cleaned up and re-blued to protect the steel from further damage of disrepair and carelessness.

It can be a great little revolver with some care and quality maintenance. Right now it's probably worth little more than a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah! I gave $150, I was able to put it in a bath of solvent for a night, then started on it the next day with a 0000 steel wool till all the rust was gone inside and out. what you see is how ever many years of not been cared for. I will look into a refinishing for it. It was a lot rougher than those pics you just saw. here are ones before it hit the solvent.
Gun Revolver Firearm Starting pistol Trigger
Revolver
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Disgusting how careless some people can be with their guns, aint it?

·
Registered
23,460 Posts
I almost hate to ask but how bad is the insides? (hopefully not as rusty as the outside). I'd remove the grips then soak it for a while then carefully remove the sideplate to check the innards. (If you don't know how to do it properly, don't be bashful - we can talk you through it). The checkering on the grips appears to be in decent shape so there is some good news. That Terrier is rough but worth refinishing, make a fun project if you like tinkering.

Reactions: pappy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I already have done all of that. The first group of pics I posted at the start of the thread is after sitting in a bath of solvent overnight and then gone over every little nook and cranny with a 0000 steel wool to remove all the rust and leave whats left of the finish. Lol which aint much. The second group of pics I posted was before the solvent just after I got home from buying it off the guy who obviously didn't care for it anymore judging from all the rust it had on it. Before completely stripping it down I inspect the inner parts and they were free of any rust or pitting from the outside. Then I completely tore it down and went to town on it. Now can anyone give me a possible year on it? I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
23,460 Posts
It looks like it was shipped in 1952. The sideplate screws don't look boogered up so you must have used a proper screwdriver (you get attaboy points for that). ;) Usually refinishing an old gun is taboo but yours is an exception. A nice job can be done w/ cold blue if you do it right.

·
Premium Member
20,742 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! If you decide to refinish it, APWCogan.com in Newville, AL would be where I would take it. Bob Cogan does excellent work. I don't know where in LA you are, but if you are close by, maybe we could get together and swap lies. We'd have to include ol' Nick (Smokey04). He's got some whoppers ;).

That was a sad puppy before you rescued her. Early post-war terriers shouldn't be treated like that. What you did was a real canine-itarian act for which you should be commended :D. We have a couple of members that specialize in these little guns. Member AR15ED posted this thread you might find interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Injunbro. I took my time with it because I dint want to devalue the weapon any more than the previous owner did. I definitely am looking into having it reblued. Thanks Wiregrass, I will look into the site in Newville. I am in Semmes, AL. I would like to get together and swap some knee slappers! I cant stand seeing firearms not being took care of. Which is why I guess I wanted to take it off his hands. I know I can give it a better life than the previous owner did. I appreciate the info and look forward to gaining a lot of useful knowledge.

·
Premium Member
20,742 Posts
Looks like we're on opposite sides of the state. Maybe one day we can work something out on getting together.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts