Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wondering what is meant when people say 'pre-lock' model of a certain revolver. I have a 686+(-5) I bought new in 1999, 4 inch model and I see no lock anywhere on the gun. Does that mean my gun is a pre lock? Or does that refer to internal mechanisms? I would like to learn as much as possible about my gun, truth be told I was not a revolver guy when I was younger and bought it for 2 reasons: first was it shoots amazingly and feels great in my hand, second was it is really cool looking with the short barrel and full lug. Any help would be appreciated.
Ser# CDL34XX.
Model # 686-5 7 shot.
20191226_193650.jpg

·
Registered
27,263 Posts
The lock in newer or later versions of revolvers has a lock located above the cylinder release. Earlier versions did not have this and are more desirable to some. The locks were initiated in 2001.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The lock in newer or later versions of revolvers has a lock located above the cylinder release. Earlier versions did not have this and are more desirable to some. The locks were initiated in 2001.
View attachment 467726
Thank you Curt, Now I know I have a pre lock. (y) I learned something new today.

·
Registered
20,909 Posts
Pre-Lock= Before the IL was put on production revolvers (1998) But being an 'old school old guy'.....I don't particularly care for anything that has 'modern improvements'.......which means 'changed to lower production costs.....at the cost of quality!!!! :mad: Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts