Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on this site, so if I make any rookie mistakes in where to post, or post formatting, please let me know.
So my grandfather was a Police Officer with the Metropolitan Police Department in Washington, DC from 1970 to 1979. He lost his life in a helicopter crash on June 6, 1979 (I can include a link to a newspaper article if anyone was interested in that). But that's besides the point. I never met him, and he never liked to talk about work or anything with his family, which is understandable given the era and department he worked for. In a chest of his personal items, there is this single holster that I have spent countless hours trying to identify, as I just bought a Smith and Wesson 10-5, because I knew he carried one, and want to use the same holster as him, just for nostalgia ig. Trying to cut this story short, there is absolutely no reference to a holster anywhere near this description on the internet. It's stamped "Jay-Pee" in a circular fashion, MP 4, and another mark on the belt-loop that says "approved MPDC". It is very much NOT a Jay-Pee MP 4 holster, simply based on the profile and all. I will note that the belt loop, two pieces of leather straps with a fastener on each, has been moved (likely by my grandfather) from the right-side of the holster to the left (see the two small holes). It is also important to note that my grandfather was a left-handed shooter, so if this was the exact holster he carried, and the modification was done by him, that would likely make this holster his IWB from when he was a NARC, but the way the holster is worn, with the entire profile of the cylinder on the side that would be up against his hip, suggests that it was worn on the right-side, unless this wear is from being in storage for so long. I cannot find a single reference, photo, or even entirely similar holster currently on the market, or in old department photographs. The Jay-Pee logo is the only thing I can go off of, as I know he did not make the holster himself because of the MP 4 marking and Jay-Pee. This started out as me wanting to get dimensions for the holster to have a reproduction made, to an obsession over "what the hell is this thing?!" I can't contact Jay-Pee as it seems they have dissolved long-ago, at least from my research, there isn't an easily contactable number or email. Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated! I really want to solve this little mystery, as like I said, I want a copy of it made, but also because I see this holster as being part of my grandfather. It's well-loved, and has what can be compared to a fingerprint of his service revolver. Thanks in advance! Jay-Pee Holster image 1.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts