Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOULD APPRECIATE HELP ON ID OF REVOLVER.
I purchased back in the 1970's when in Law Enforcement.
Getting old and can't remember if this is a Model 27.
It is 357 Mag 3 1/2 inch barrel and chrome finish.
Have provided Photos, hope someone can help with Model and
value of item. Thanks for any help. S&W Model 27-1.jpg S&W Model 27-2.jpg S&W Model 27-3a.jpg S&W Model 27-4.jpg S&W Model 27-5.jpg

·
Registered
214 Posts
That is definitely a model 27. A 5 screw one. A very nice and valuable revolver you have there. I don’t see many in nickel. It was made in late 55 or early 56 when they were just called the 357 magnum.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just realized you said it was chrome, if the finish is factory it’s nickel. The extractor star is blued and that’s how they did them at S&W. If it’s been refinished it looks good (it would hurt the value some) but I’d guess it’s well maintained nickel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I agree 1500 is a good place to start in that condition. If it was me I’d maybe put it up for 2000 or more and see if you get any bites. Nickel models are worth more and I think a good bit rarer in 5 screw models. You don’t have a box or papers by chance?

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Nice pre 27. Probably pushing $2k in this market.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've never been a fan of the N frames, but would love to have a 3.5" 27 just because of the top checkering.

The fact that someone scratched their name on your's would be a deal breaker for me even at $1,000.

·
Super Moderator
32,540 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

Nice nickel pre model 27 3 1/2"! That would easily go for 1500 here even with the name engraved in it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
BTW the grips are much later than the gun. The factory grips would have diamonds around the screw hole and being a 1955 gun could possibly have been non relieved diamond target grips. Correct grips for your gun could run $200 - $300. It also could have shipped with diamond magna style grips which would be a bit cheaper to replace. Only a factory letter will give you this information.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
I would be looking high and low for the factory stocks. Probably long gone though. A collector would want them but would also take issue with the trigger shoe and the marks the set screws leave on the trigger. It is a desirable Smith and Wesson revolver, very desirable and $1,500 is certainly a good place to start even with all the "minuses'.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts